Engine Fittings for Hot-Water Shower System

DefectiveDave

• Baller

So based on the recommendations in this forum I've decided to design and install my own hot water shower in the boat, saving a bit of money. I'm ready to get started, but I have one thing holding me up. What type of fittings do I use to tap into the hot water in the engine block?

I have a 1992 nautique with the 351 PCM engine, which is a cast iron block. All fittings I have found including brass, copper, and stainless steel will galvanically corrode when in close proximity to cast iron in fresh water. That being said, I'm not sure what the corrosion rate is and I'm too lazy to go tracking down the literature. What types of fittings have others used for this purpose, or what do the factory installed options use? Have they held up well over the years?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

P.S. I'm hesitant to use plastic fittings due to vastly different thermal expansion coefficients, leading to potential mechanical cycling fatigue.

• Baller
Do you have a heater in the boat? If so just plumb into the hot water feed for it. I put my own shower in and didn't have to do anything with block connections. Don't worry about flow through the heater, the return feed restriction from the heater is about the size of a pencil lead.

• Baller_

Quit worrying about galvanic decomposition and install the Brass and move on. just another part in the system that needs addressing 5-6 years down the road, regular interval maintenance... That is if you still own the boat!

you could also install a sacrificial anode! and patch ground it..

• Baller
Hoses, fittings, demand pump, mixing valves, y-tube, etc. all need to be matched for proper consistent flow, pressure and heat. I found it was less expensive to order the complete kit and y-tube from skidim when they run one of their10% off sales than engineer it myself.

• Baller

Thanks all. I've ordered the brass fitting and will be installing soon. Maybe in salt-water the corrosion issue would be more important. Better safe than sorry.

@colo_skier,

I don't have a heater in the boat unfortunately, maybe next year.

@Jody_Seal‌,

How did you know I was considering a zinc anode? Just kidding!