OB4 Systems unboxing

Horton

• Baller

I was very encouraged to see the main plate is as flexible as it appeared...I expected it to be thicker and much less flexible and would hinder the skis flexibility.

Personally, I would liked to have seen it with the new Roxa Hardshells but will be looking forward to the testing phase.

• Baller
I agree with the comments about stiffer bindings not always being equal to better skiing, I think once you get to a certain point there is certainly the potential to amplify problems when boots don't forgive slight skier errors enough. I'm at the point now where I run my rear boot pretty loose which allows plenty of movement, I can lift my heel in it easily. Looking forward to this product review.

• Supporting Member

To no one's surprise, it was a long learning curve for me to transition from decades of rubber boots to a bleeding edge shell system. I estimate about 2.5 months to reach a true comfort level.

It was absolutely worth it. The OB4 System is a fundamentally safer design than any other commercial binding system. It may have already saved my ankle and/or ski in the two cases where I had a release, and I have no doubt that it will grant me an extra season some day.

If you are serious about safety, shell out the cash and take the time to set up the best binding option there is.

@Horton I don't know if the tension instructions have been updated. The starting point should be the "ft-lbs for release" number is 30% of your body weight in lbs. That and other handy tips can be found in my guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1M3z1wtYSyhHVQGdpaH_UOD2dEW0jhYlMHtD0eoizspg

• Baller
Really looking forward to this review. I've mentioned in a previous thread that I've been trying out the OB4's and my experience with the increased responsiveness/stiffness is definitely a love/hate (I have the Roxas). Horton rides a lot of skis - but with the same bindings (I assume) so this will be a great test.

• Baller
@danbirch the amount of compression of the spring from ski flexing would be insignificant and in most falls you would have already released the pressure that is flexing the ski. As with most other systems, the skier must determine the best release setting for his skiing ability. The least pressure setting that you can use without causing excessive releasing is best. @Than_Bogan can attest to how stout the spring is...

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller
@Ed_Johnson‌ Yes, it is only placed in the front under the release mechanism. I was working on an adapter plate back in the Summer and test a version. I need to work on it again. This plate would be used instead of having to drill in new inserts or replacing the tape overtime. I do not move my bindings usually so the tape option works good for me.