the right ski? Connelly V

Bill22

• Baller

I have been reading up on the V. It looks like a great fit for my friend.

The V is wider under foot right?

Question 1. Extra width = good for deep water starts? This guy is in early 60’s uses double boots and does not like too many deep water starts (I know an RTP is quicker to get up).

The Carbon V is said to be a stiff stick.

Question 2. Is the Carbon V less forgiving than the V? Question 2 is in reference to learning the course. I know 15 offers don’t need carbon skis but I have seen some deals.

67” @ 168 lb, 6’ 0”, 32mph – 34mph freeskiing most of the time, 30mph @ -15 trying to learn the course.

I know the best way to select a ski is always to demo but it's the off season and we have all winter to hypothesize about skis.

• Baller

I am at your friend's level and have been skiing on the V for two years now. I initially bought it with double Sidewinder bindings, but they really hurt my feet a lot so I had to return them and exchange for Talons. Everyone's feet are not the same (e.g. I have a high arch and high instep, and the pain from the Sidewinders was across the top of my foot), but the Talons are the most comfortable bindings I have ever tried. Granted, I haven't tried many, though.

The Talons can be better customized than the Sidewinders because each boot has two separate laces (one for the bottom and one for the top part of the boot) and they come with a set of elastic laces, which is what I ended up using for the top part. With the Overton's pre-Thanksgiving sale right now you can get a 67" V with double Talons for $518, which is a great deal for this ski.

• Baller

@Connelly_Skis_Inc‌ Thank you for making the V in two different layups. That gives guys that want to give the course a try an option to get a great ski without getting up in the $600-$800 range.

@Horton‌ @TallSkinnyGuy‌ thanks.

• Baller_
I am a decent shortline skier with a tournament PB of 99 and a recent ranking list average of 98 (I missed this year post Regionals). I just bought a 67" Connelly Aspect, a slightly wider version of the V. I intend to ski on it this winter, mounted with my Fogmans, at 28 to 30 mph long line. My goal is 1000 turns, then back exclusively to my Prophecy. Once I am dialed back in to the Prophecy, I will give the GT a go. I have a little health issue that affects my strength and endurance, so I think this plan will facilitate more time on the water and more turns, plus improve my overall skiing.

Lpskier

• Members
I learned the course on my 67" Carbon V. I'm 6'2", 200#. I now run it through -28/30mph and can't complain about the stiffness there, but I did find it harder to to get the front of the ski into the water in the turns at 34mph (free skiing) at -28/-32. I probably need a narrower ski for the next one if I want to get more serious about 34mph. At 30-32mph, it's been great.

• Baller

One question I have been wondering about. Would a newbie to the course even feel the difference in carbon vs non-carbon at 28-30mph?

A newbie normally really does not get the ski on edge much. Also, they do not have as much of the front of the ski in the water in a turn.

Someday I want to demo the same ski in a carbon & non-carbon version.