OB4 Review - first impressions

Horton

• Administrators

Considering how different the OB4 system is from what I was using it is hard to know where to start.

The Semi Soft boots feel good. I was worried that they were going to be too stiff laterally. That turned out to not be true at all. The lateral stiffness feels about perfect.

What is very interesting is how firmly held my foot is. In most bindings the bottom of your foot moves a bit. Not enough to notice but it moves around. In these boots my feet are held flat and still in the boot. I think that is a good thing.

The hardware offers infinite binding adjust forward and backwards and boot angle. Because the boot holds my foot so positively I might end up with less rear boot angle.

The toe of the back boot had to be trimmed so I could get my feet close together. @mmosley899‌ warned me about this. It was easy. I just used a hack saw and trimmed back the front of the boot until I got it where I wanted. I need to go back and make it look prettier next weekend. Bottom line is my back toes about touch my front boot. The hardware makes this easy.

As I expected the first ride was a mess. I am not 100% sure why but I had to move my bindings back a 1/4 inch. (could just be how I measured it) After I moved the bindings back I was about 95 % on the second ride. Considering how different the boots are this is pretty good the second ride.

As for the release => there is a lot to learn but in the end you screw it on your ski, set the release setting and go ski. Simple is good. I don't crash very often so I can't say much else.

• Administrators

@JJVDMZN‌ There will not be two reviews. Are you trying to destroy my skiing?

Below is my thinking and not OB4 marketing

OB4 offers something different. It is NOT about all about the shells. OB4 sells shells and I like the shells they sell but for me OB4 is a release product. If you want to use your own shells do it.

And I am not sure OB4 is about performance. WHAT DID I SAY? The system does not get in the way of how you want to set up your boots. No other system lets you choose your boot. You set up a OB4 system with any boots and what you get is safety.

Let me say this differently. If you take the boots off another system and put them on OB4 you will most likely not see a difference when skiing. What you do get is a different release method.

I assume most skiers are going to take the stock package from OB4 and not only will they ski great but they will be safe.

• Administrators
@hooscal15‌ I do not have a picture handy. Image what it would look like if a drunk cut the front of your boot off. It looks a lot like that even though I was not drinking when I did it.

• Administrators
@hooscal15‌ with a hacksaw. I chopped a little at a time until my toes were just almost sticking out the end. I wish it looked prettier. Also - I left the liner intact.

• Baller
Does this trimming need to be done with the Roxa hard shells as well? So far it seams like that is the only issue I have seen with the OB4 setup is you need to cut up the boots to get them close enough. I would have a REALLY hard time buying something for $1000 and cutting it...

• Administrators

@BrennanKMN I hear that. One of the compelling things about OB4 is you can do what you want with the boots.

With almost any hardshell boot your toes may not come to the very tip of the boot. Some skiers feel the need to chop and some do not.

I do not know about the fit of the Roxa shell.

• Baller

I wear a size 12 Reflex front, Roxa rear. Two Roxa sizes 12 boots should fit without issue. You would only need to cut the boot if you wanted your feet closer together.

I took a Dremel to the rear corner of my Roxa boot (there is a ton of solid plastic there, very well built) because the block on he back of the reflex created a space issue. I may cut the toe in the spring. many high-end precision items require some customization and hand fitting, so I can't say that I am too concerned about it.

• Baller
@BrennanKMN‌ how close you want your feet is a personal preference thing, but I have always cut the toe off of my rear hard shell boot. You cannot get Reflex, Powershell or FM boots close enough for my preference without cutting the rear toe, nor Radar or HO. As @BlueSki‌ said the OB4 Roxa size 12 will fit without cutting the toe. The OB4 Soft boots have a more pointed toe and so they make the feet feel more separated. I use a chop saw(miter saw) to cut the boots.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller