Poll for the best ski travel bag?

SkiJay

• Baller

I have a sport tube I use all the time. In fact I wore one out. I brig my skis with me probably 30 trips a year so that would be close to 75 segments (each with a "load/"unload". I've never had my skis damaged although I have had the case returned open and, on a different trip, noticeably damaged (see picture).

However in soft cases I've had several incidences of damage. I've had a fin bent over, zippers and bags damaged and a hole literally burned thru the bag probably from a conveyor belt. The hole was semi circular, thru both layers of fabric, thru the foam and thru the fabric of the slalom bag. The slalom bag had a hard plastic insert on the bottom which saved the ski.

The worst damage I had was in a soft three event bag. It must have fallen off the baggage cart and run over by something. The tip end of a jump ski was broken and the tail of a slalom ski was crushed. The bottom of the slalom ski looked like a broken egg shell.

For me the hard case is the only way to go unless I want to bring my jumpers.

96kfzaun4wzu.jpg

uvdokpe3k4lp.jpg

• Baller

I use a sport tube, never had any damage to it, although at MCO found the box open on the conveyor belt and the pin missing, only time its ever not been at the oversize. I now have a string on the pin and a bungee clipping both pieces for backup.

One of the reasons I went for the sportube is many airlines only cover damage when your gear is In a hard case.

• Baller
I have used both but with soft bags the TSA undid everything, then shoved it all back in the bag with the ski zipped in on top unwrapped. Seemed to come out OK but moved to SportTube. Lost a pin twice and had pins just through one hole, then went to TSA approved cable locks. Seems, but I don't know, that with a TSA lock they have to make sure it is locked and secured. So they take more care to ensure locked and through both holes with TSA approved lock.

• Baller_
Someone mentioned that Sport Tubes are susceptible to pinch or pinch and poke type damage on conveyor belts. I've never used one, so I have no experience one way or the other. I have traveled extensively nationally and internationally with a Masterline one event wheelie and I have never had any damage to my gear.

Lpskier

• Baller
I have used a variety of ski travel bags including a regular ski bag, a 10" PVC tube, and an O'brien soft bag with a hard inner box. No problems with any of them. The tube is the most durable but is the hardest to get around. The O'brien bag is working nicely. All variations are packed with as much soft equipment as possible.

I travel with this

45c97aa17edfbde4516ec21d0e66cd.jpeg

ab314909830626799f0d240d97a895.jpeg

bef4c5a5f48af432489b25b884fa64.jpeg

Construction pipe (30$) inside a Dakine rollbag (that I can also use for snowskiing)

And my ski has never been hurt.

I did the exact same thing (Dakine bag + construction pipe) for my sister, and her Goode Maikai is all well in spite of a HUGE crack on the pipe (probably fell from the plane while loading or something ran it over...go figure).

Downside to it: kinda heavy, probably around 15 pounds empty.

Upside: It is versatile. Once on location I can take the pipe out and only use de much lighter ski bag for moving around to and from the lake etc..

• Baller
I have a fin firkin. It fits over the ski on the outside of a soft case if you put it on backwards. If I were traveling I would get a slightly bigger case so the fin firkin will fit inside and wrap the rest of the ski in extra padding in the case. My trick ski ends up getting wrapped inside my life jacket and wetsuit shorts.