USAWS / AWSA - Abandon or Revolution?

Horton

• Administrators

Greg’s idea is not a bad one at all. He is basically saying let’s start over with a whole new vision. Some of you love it and some hate it. No shock there.

If Greg gets it going I am behind him but I think it is a very big hill to climb.

Instead of starting over perhaps we should consider REVOLUTUION. Perhaps we start with the board of directors of AWSA and USAWS, EVPs and whoever else. I think few members vote every year - I mean you guys.

I propose we simply vote out any board member or EVP who is does not actively compete or who is over 65 years old. (I am NOT against older Americans but I think our organization needs a younger world view.)

Forcing new faces into power is not a instant fix but holy the crap the ship is sinking as it is. I do not see how it could be worse.

• Baller

In order to be eligible to be a regional EVP, a candidate has to have served in various roles, such as being a current or previous AWSA director, a voting member of a standing committee and current or previous voting member of an AWSA regional council.

I understand the intent behind this rule, you don’t want completely unknowledgeable people running the show, but it does mean that only those who’ve been around for awhile are eligible to be in the top roles. That means an energized new person, with new and fresh ideas, will be excluded, perhaps to the detriment of the organization as a whole.

Maybe we look at this requirement more closely and see if it is inhibiting the “fresh blood” that everyone seems to want? If enough members think skier X is awesome and has great ideas, maybe they should be allowed to be an EVP regardless of how long they’ve been around.

All that being said, I think my EVP is awesome and I really appreciate all the hard work they do. They’ll have my vote as long as they want to continue in that position.

• Baller

Greg's idea is the ISIS of waterskiing - to hell with anything but high level slalom fanatics.

Hit 65 and you're soylent green? While I'm not quite 65 yet, I'm better than most of the kids I coach and probably will still be when I hit 65. And the kids I coach will carry on many of my ideas.

I do agree that people should be more involved in the organization. But this site selects for slalom fanatics so loading committees with Ballers may not be representative or best for the sport. Still, EVOLUTION is the proper way to go. New faces and ideas are good. Discussions are good as well - even ideas like Greg's promote creative thinking.

The ship may be sinking but it seems like all the ships are sinking. When the Quidditch teams at college get more funding and support than almost all other college club sports we have to realize that the world has changed. Perhaps if the ship sinks slowly enough our sport might still be there when outdoor activities become popular again.

Eric

• Baller

@Horton I'm not good at politics (will Greg ever take me seriously?). I am doing what I can though, I'm out the door to coach SDSU.

Tell Richelle to experiment with some of my ideas, get Aarne to give me a hull to modify and go take a trick set!

Eric

• Baller

@horton "if you have a better solution lead the charge" Really? Someone says "Hey, things seem bad here so lets all jump off the 200' cliff, that will fix it!" Someone else says "That"s not a good idea, we will die" and the reply "unless you have a better solution, shut up and jump!" Just because someone recognizes folly doesn't mean they should be ignored for not having the solution. Perhaps not how you meant it, but how it came across.

Change for change's sake is a recipe for failure. Even the Baller's can't have any type of consensus of what the problem is, other than whatever it is that it is AWSA/USAWS fault. You even put forth that we need to identify what the issue(s) is before putting forth solutions.

"You want to be sure not to push forward ideas that turn into wasted investments. In the long run, these plans are like flushing money (and time and effort) down the toilet. Think about your organization. Where are there opportunities for true, positive change? Where are the doors that are waiting to be pushed open? If you see the cracks, will you know what to do next? Do you have the ideas you need to be the go-to person in your field?"

• Baller
I am not sure of the answer, I have however seen the sporting side of many different venues: Mountain biking, triathlon, road cycling, competitive swimming, (ugh-running).... and all of these are doing quite well, events are flourishing. Our precious events are withering like falling oil prices. Is it just to difficult of a sport to promote due to the high cost and logisitics to participate? Is it the old guard not willing to think outside the box at the headquarters? I don't know, but it is hard to justify keeping my kids in a sport (even though we all love it) that is dwindling, when time and money could be better spent in any of the previous mentioned sports that will provide fruitful opportunities. #timeforachangeforthebetter!!!!!!

• Administrators

Is it the old guard not willing to think outside the box at the headquarters?

I think that is A problem

Is that the whole problem? No but the ship needs a rudder before it can go anywhere.

• Baller

First I am rather new to the tournament scene(less than 5 years). I like the idea of more slalom tournaments, since that is all I do.

The question I have is "Can't this movement be from the LOC up, not the other way around?". It is my impression that LOC's are the ones who decide format and rounds and cost. So we need to get more LOC's to do 2 day, 2+ rounds per day Slalom only tournaments. Forming a new organization is going to have to recruit the sites/LOC anyway, so spend the time doing that change first.

I know it does not solve the Nationals/Regionals problem, but one step at a time. Show it works in the grassroots organized level and make the change happen.

• Baller

@rayn Spot on! Yes, LOC's are the ones who decide format and rounds and cost. With a class F just about anything goes. Class C needs to be regular slalom with gates, 6 buoys, boat down the middle. Pretty simple but multi-round and H2H all allowed in current system, rule book describes how. And for a C it's really not that complex, it can't be as I did one.

Here's an idea, you be the tournament director/organizer. A class C is not that hard, no video or senior judges required. Bet you have met people at tournaments you attended you could call who are judges who would love to be part of a fun tournament. A few regulars and fill with assistants, good to go. A 1 day, 2 round with a head to head is lots of fun. Just takes desire, a little time and a few hundred cash up front (get back in entry's, I broke even at 22).

You would grow the sport and make it more positive. New blood (you) with energy can make a huge difference.

I think a lot of guys are missing the real reason why more skiers aren't skiing tournaments. In competition, for one to want to compete, they have to have a sense that they are truly competitive! The current way AWSA tournaments are set up, they cater to rankings and really the top 5% of skiers.

I think for many this is why they chose not to "compete". I know it is the case for me.

• Baller_
You can still do an ability-based competition within a normal class C. There is no reason you can't get some additional use of the same score you get in your class C. You'll get ranking credit and possibly some other achievement, based on what you decide to do for recognition in the ability-based scoring.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

@Horton you said "Greg’s idea is not a bad one at all. He is basically saying let’s start over with a whole new vision." My quesiton is why?

You can do EVERYTHING Greg's suggesting under the current rules and with the current organization. I'm at a complete loss as to why we need a new organization to make any of this happen.

• Baller
@OB sanction it as Class X and sort as you wish. Only 'restriction' is reporting to AWSA what you did and how it worked so it can be evaluated/discussed. For a format change as you suggest, contact your EVP and request the scores apply as normal on the ranking list. Alternatively, pull 2 or 3 rounds 'traditionally' and pull two more with this format.

@OB as a non-tournament 15 offer I think your loop divisions sound fun. I wouldn't get anything out of skiing a tournament for rankings at my skill level. spending a Saturday getting smoked by some dude in my age bracket with fewer pounds and better abs always sounds less fun than the weekly informal "king of the lake" ski sessions we have at our lake. I could see where it would be fun skiing against a simple ability based group- somehow that seems more appealing to me than the buoy average system where I "beat" a guy because I improved my average even though he skied -35 and I got 2 at -22. To me it seems that the national ranking system should be a secondary consequence generated by fun and spirited competitions, not the main focus of the events.

• Baller

@crashman @drdave @OB INT, it's what your asking for....

http://www.intleague.com

It's not for me, I don't get it and I have some issues with how it's organization works. Being the champion of "can't run X" doesn't appeal to me. But that's me. I have friends who love INT. Check it out, if it get's you out and skiing tournaments then that is a great thing.

Never quite understood the "I won't participate if I can't win/get my trophy". I doubt I will ever win AWSA nationals, but I have a great time watching all the top competitors. I also really like it when I place well above my seed. I have had some of the best times of my life at AWSA tournaments up in WA, hanging with people that sometimes all I have in common with is skiing. Now in FL I enjoy both the big R's, getting to know some people to hang with, and finding the smaller C's that are less "serious" but cleanly run and mostly about fun. And I judge/score, that's opened a lot of doors.

• Baller
@OB is right on, every round has to count towards ranking or nobody shows. I have attempted to run ability based/handicapped events with the intention of uniting the divide between the grassroots skiers and the more advanced "ranking chaser" (I am included there). It hasn't worked in uniting the two groups. I understand the ranking format but until that changes I think it will be difficult to generate any true competition into backyard tournaments. This model is working on a small scale (see the buckeye buoy tour) but it takes organizers and skiers who are willing to sacrifice a round or two and ski grassroots divisions/fun format. It works somewhat in other sports like golf, bowling etc. but in my opinion would take major restructuring in waterskiing.

• Baller
I burned myself out being a ranking chaser the last few years. So much so that when my membership renews in May, I'm not sure I'll renew. And if I don't renew, I have no incentive to come to a tournament to be a driver or official. So the AWSA has potentially lost a high level 7/low level 8 skier, regular driver, regular judge, regular scorer unless someone comes up with a format that makes it fun for me to show up. Because other than seeing a few friends, it hasn't been all that fun over the last few years. I can get my competitive fix in other sports, where I'm competing against the other guys who show up rather than a number on a list in some database.

• Baller
Every time I compete in a tourney my 11 year old son will say "did you win Dad?" And I go through the process of explaining how I'm competing against myself while he quickly loses interest in my response. I agree that a format change to make things more fun for everybody is in order

• Baller_

Class X get's nothing! no rankings, no qualification,no records. oh! It's and experimental event! I can experiment on my own time!

I say Revolution!!

Time For AWSA to remove itself from the Baggage and bondage of USAWS. Now that is an experiment that has done nothing except cause undue bureaucracy and BS policy's for the 3-event sport.

Revolution!!!

• Baller

It is starting to make sense. It is only fun if you win. Silly me. All this time I thought that mentality only existed in the younger generation we have. I guess it has also crept into middle age.

The bottom line is that you can set up and run your tournament just about any way you want. If you want to have a 22 off group, fine do it. If you want three rounds slalom only, fine do it. Three events fine. Do it. There are plenty of slalom only tournament out there. I don't see how a new organization will do any good.

In the big dawg beginning, there was a big buzz about it. It filled up fast. Now it looks like it is starting to loss some of it's sex appeal. Events are still filling up, but with lower rated skiers filling spots 30 - 50. You still get the same top 20-30 but the lower half looks like it is turning over. The lower ranked guys don't win so they are starting to say "This is no fun" "I'm not winning" I'm not going" It is fun once or twice for the experience but how many that don't make the top 16 ski most of them?

@ob said it. "If the rounds don't count, they don't come" So, is it about the fun or the score that needs to count. For me, if I pay to ski a tournament, the score needs to count. I can have fun any day goofing off with friends with old skis or opposite foot slalom or wrong side start or trick ski slalom or...... If I pay for a tournament I need the scores to count. The fun stuff can happen post event at the host site discretion, whatever that may be. For some sites it might be adult beverages. For others a pizza party for the kids. It depends on the event and the skiers involved.

• Baller

@Texas6 does your son go and ski in tournaments with you. For me that is what got me into tournament skiing. Once your son starts chasing scores in tournaments he will understand. That you didn't win and might not ever win.

There is nothing better than spending a weekend at a lake with your son and the other great people I have met at tournaments.

That said I do believe that things could change. My son is a three event skier so I would hate to see three eventing disappear. However I do get think that there has to be a way to generate more interest in tournament skiing.

I think there should be flexibility in the format of events as long as there are certified officials, drivers and judges. The idea of skiing M3 or M4 with two rounds back to back so people don't have to be at the site for 8 hours. For example many M/W2 and 3 skiers may have small kids that are too young to ski and taking off for a full day leaving them with their spouse may not go over well. If they could get 2 rounds in a half a day that would likely help.

For me tournaments are about the friends I see at tournaments and how I ski in the events which does translate to the ranking list even though I am not that good. I do want my tournament rounds to show up in the ranking list which is a measuring stick for me and my friends that are about the same level.

There is nothing like getting a new PB at a tournament no matter what level you ski at. It is different than getting a new PB at home.

• Baller_

@Texas6 that is what took my daughter out of competition. I may get her to do one this year but it is totally based around a weekend of other stuff we will be doing...beach...swimming....camping....she brings a friend. Last year she begged not to do her third round so we could get an early start for the beach. It had already been a looooong day. She had already set her PB...

@ShaneH that may just be the death of the sport as I think lots of others feel the same. During tournaments, I'll watch all the other 34mph skiers just to see where we all end up comparatively. If I manage to beat most of them, it feels kinda good.

• Baller
Its easy to type into a computer. Its harder to plan and host events. There is ample opportunity for anyone to host events even with class C sanction within the current rules to achieve a competitive format that skiers will love. I know I have done it. If folks want change get involved. But before we start putting in new EVP's they need to understand there is a lot of work involved. We need workers not whiners.

• Baller
@ShaneH why do you think you got burned out? What were you expecting to achieve from your skiing? Did you achieve it? If not, did you get burned out because of that? Why are you not having "fun" anymore? What can a tournament host do to change that? I know the tournaments that you ski are generally slalom only. Why are they not fulfilling anymore? All of the answers will help sites to plan for Shane's fun and retain you as a tournament skier. Tell us what needs to be done. It can't just be more rounds and slalom only. You do that now.

• Baller
@DrDave -- I disagree. I've skied tournaments for 20 years. When I was new and setting new PBs with regularity, tournaments were a blast! Now as an old guy I'm just trying to get to my average. Point is, when I was younger and not as far down the rope, many tournaments ended with a big old smile! Now, well, its a whole lot tougher.

• Baller
@Chef23 @Wish, the kid loves skiing and this year he does intend to ski some tourneys. My point is that itbwant appealing, and he's watched me in several tourneys and just doesn't find the tournament that fun. I love the whole thing don't get me wrong, just thinking out loud about appeal to newcomers

• Baller

@ntx Other sports are ability based. I'm competing against others which are similar experience. Cycling for example. In cycling you move up to a higher category by scoring points over a 12 month period which are based on your finishing position and the number of entrants in your category at an event.

Honestly, I want to compete against others of my ability. I didn't realize that until I started doing other things and saw how those orgs ran things. Sure, a tournament can be run to do that. But then the scores go against an age range group and not an ability group for national rankings. So in the end, it's still age based.

It's not necessarily about "fun". That's part of it. But also about getting back what I put in.

Razorskier1, you say you disagree, but that's exactly my point. I too had more fun early on because I was "competing" with myself. AND often winning (i.e. getting a PB). This makes anybody happy and encourages participation. Then as you say, as I got into 38off and bouy counts increased VERY slowly I was no longer competitive (even against myself). Thus, the days of "winning" became fewer and farther between. I'm not talking about winning an entire event etc etc either. I'm just talking about "winning" any type of positive reinforcement for spending time, money and all to ski in a "tournament ". It became more fun to ski at home, and not to participate in tournaments.

OB, yes, I think that I might actually enjoy skiing in ability based tournaments. If i read your post correctly, you say that isn't allowed in the AWSA?? That might be true now I don't know, but Im not sure it is true. I know that I skied in a tournament that was never ran , ability based in California and it was AWSA approved/sanctioned and the scores did count toward rankings. So maybe the rules have changed?? In any event it is fun to compete with others much more that are close to your same ability. It pushes you to improve more I think than skiing against guys that you have NO chance of beating. At least for me this is true. I don't know about the bibs, but a tournament where I skied against guys that can rune 35off but haven't yet run 38off in a tournament would be much more competitive and "fun" than getting beaten by the same guys in my age group over and over again. ;)

As far as Nationals and regionals go, I understand that type of format doesn't work. I just don't see why you can't do class C tournaments differently than Natls and Regls as far as "format"?? Or accept scores for Nationals and regionals from a NSL (NSO), for the guys that want to go and are competitive or don't care that they are not.

Also, many commented, somewhat facetiously (not sure I spelled that right..LOL), that they didn't realize it was about winning the event or trophy or it's not fun. Well yeah, duh... that's why its called a tournament!! LOL. Now I am being a little facetious. However, the "winning" I am talking about has nothing to do with trophies or medals. It has to do with positive reinforcement. When you take positive reinforcement out of an activity people will quit doing it. It's pretty basic.

I think ShaneH apparently feels the same way from his explanation of why he quit doing tournaments. They lack positive reinforcement for him so he quit. The same is true for me. I think until the "powers that be" recognize this, tournament participation will continue to dry up.

And I really don't understand the argument of tournaments being fun, because "I get to ski with my friends". I get to do that at my home site without having to pay extra $$.

Is ability based format the way to go to provide this?? I'm not sure. But I do know the way it is structured now I am VERY unlikely to participate.

INT sounds more appealing to me, but they seem to have much fewer events and more spread out so basically this is why I never participated in them before.

• Baller

getting to clinics is difficult for some, including myself, (work 6 days/week), and 15 tourn driving class c's to become regular is a lot..even in south florida, this is going to take me 4-5 years it looks like

• Baller

Interesting.

I remember @Jody_Seal saying he wasn't going to join or drive in the past. Jody.... Were you a usaws member last year?

I agree that there are issues with USAws. If you think it is a simple task to form another organization, your crazy. It will take years. @Horton is correct, people will say they will join, but when it come time...they will not.

It probably makes sense to shake things up at headquarters but it would be a poor choice to just start over.

My perspective:

I have ran a club for the past five years. We have had tournaments, clinics, and provide a public slalom course. The forms and insurance requirements were mind boggling. I would spend 3-4 hours filling out forms for insurance, often times with the same information. Not online forms....paper...then I would fax it over. What a pain in the ass. If you want to host a clinic or tournament....read the fine print. You have to jump through tons of hoops to be "in compliance". And....if I want a rating for something....it takes forever. Once you get the rating its more hoops to jump through. Its far simpler for me to keep my pilots license current.

Last year Taryn from USAws called me to ask how it was going. I went through my complaints on how the system needs to be revised from the ground up and our need for insurance for a slalom course was primary but the other club insurance was useless for us.

This year I took a different approach. No more USAws. I didn't join. Our club didn't join. We found insurance elsewhere.

Tim

• Baller

@Dirt Your not a judge (or driver or scorer) and your an Open or 55K rated skier? Hmmmmm......

As an Open or MM skier attend (in person or online) a clinic, take a test (they send it to you) and then your a Senior Judge! Essentially expend minimal effort, make sure you are up on current rule changes (clinic) and demonstrate you've read the rule book (test) and your a senior, able to judge at any AWSA tourny including Nat's.

Judge 6 consecutive skiers in 4 tournaments every 2 years, attend a clinic (in person or online) once every 4 years and you keep your senior rating even if you drop out of MM or Open.

For Level 8 skiers send in your name, address, AWSA number on the form and your an Assistant Judge, able to judge at Class C's. That's stupid easy.

As usual the AWSA site has all the info:

http://www.usawaterski.org/pages/officials/awsa/HowtoBecomeJudge.htm

• Baller

@bkreis Has a point, in person clinic's can be difficult to find. Finding a Class C in South Florida even harder....

AWSA does put notices of online clinics on their front page:

http://www.usawaterski.org/default.asp?Display=2069

AWSA Offering Online Judges Clinic

Posted by: usaws

On: 02/27/2015 06:54:12

In: Water Skiing

The Kentucky Lake Ski Nuts will be hosting an American Water Ski Association online/virtual judges and scorers clinic on April 4. For information and to register, contact Bob Harris at rbtharris@yahoo.com or (270) 210-7552.

For a complete listing of officials' clinics by region, click here (PDF).

• Baller

It would seem to me that removing the restrictions that you can't ski out of division in a AWSA event, you must ski within your age bracket and no skier can ski a second round until their entire age division skis round one would open up the flexibility to ski ability based divisions.

What about a proposal to AWSA that removes the above restrictions for class C events. This would provide the flexibility to do ability based grouping and still have all rounds count towards rankings. It would also provide more flexibility to have groups of skiers finished in the morning or afternoon so that you don't have to commit the full day.

I have skied some INT events in the past and enjoyed the ability based competition. I remember that when I was just getting back in to skiing I was competing with a wide range of skiers from 14 year olds to 60 year olds and it was a lot of fun. The drawback from my perspective to the INT was that it generally was only one round.

I don't have any idea how to go about proposing a rule change but it seems like a change to Class C that allows flexibility in format with maintaining scores for the ranking lists doesn't impact the integrity of the scores.

I love slalom skiing. I've never skied a tournament. I ski because it's fun, it's an amazing workout and it satisfies my competitive nature (chasing buoys and achieving practice PBs). I grew up free skiing...slalom, trick and jumping wakes on old wooden combos (pretending I was jump skiing). Skiing was a big part of my childhood and our family. We always had a nautique, always skied on public water, but didn't have access to a course or jump. I don't feel like I'm missing much by not skiing in tournaments. My slalom buddies have become great friends and my family ( wife and 2 young kids) enjoy getting out on the lake together. When I think about tournament skiing, it feels too time consuming. I can't see leaving my wife and kids all day to ski in a tournament, and the last thing my wife wants to do is drag the family to a lake and sit around waiting for daddy to ski. Part of me wants to ski tournaments, but they seem overwhelming. FWIW, I thought it may be helpful to hear the perspective of someone who doesn't tournament ski, but takes 3-4 sets/week and spend enormous amounts of money on this sport.

@OB I set my practice PB of 1.5@38 last year skiing with Rini. To some extent, I do have the mentality "if I can consistently get into 38off, then I would have a respectable enough score to ski in a tournament." The other major factor is the time commitment. Right now I don't golf because it takes 4 hours. I can walk out the back door and take a slalom set with my ski buddies and be done in an hour. My wife would kill me if I left the house every other Saturday to ski in a tournament that requires 6-8 hours of my time.

• Baller

@ChadW Your perspective is probably representative of lots of skiers. You say:

When I think about tournament skiing, it feels too time consuming

Part of me wants to ski tournaments, but they seem overwhelming

then I would have a respectable enough score to ski in a tournament

Those are just excuses if you are even a little intrigued by tournaments. You don't have to do every other Saturday, one or two a year is fine also though three ideal if interested in ranking list. You are more than good enough already. If it is something you want to do, do it now or you will just be that much older when you do (Warren Miller quote).

You also say 'I can't see leaving my wife and kids all day to ski in a tournament", that's a value judgement and can't fault you for that one, priorities.

But if not going is the first three and wiggle room for the last one, a day for Dad, then go to a tournament. Go to one then you will know what they are like, bring your lake buddies too.

@BRY You are right, they are excuses, but my posting them is to give a sense of what is holding folks back. Tournaments based on ability (like cycling) or handicapped (like golf) would reduce the intimidation and could make for better competition. Also, organizing them so participants don't have to sit around all day would help. All ideas that have been expressed in this thread and are appealing to a non-tournament skier like me.

• Baller

@ChadW when your kids gets old enough get them involved. Tournaments don't have to be intimidating and everyone I have met regardless of level has been welcoming. Tournaments can be a great family event. In the Northeast we have whole families that go and ski at various levels. Some kids start in the fun class when they are still working on running a full pass and trick ski when they only have side slides.

Your level obviously is plenty high enough. I have only seen 38 once in practice so you are better than me and many other folks you will see at tournaments. I would recommend finding one close by and give it a try with your buddies. Depending on how old your kids are I would say bring them to see the other kids skiing that frequently is a big driver to get kids to want to ski in tournaments. Seeing the range of kids that ski at tournaments can be motivating for the kids.

We have a bit of a split family. My son loves to ski and ski in tournaments. My daughter skis recreationally and had no interest in tournaments. When my son and I are gone for the weekend my wife and daughter frequently head for the beach which they love.