1999 SKi Nautique battery

rodltg2

• Baller
Having trouble finding a battery that fits in the box on my 99. No luck at the auto parts stores or wal mart. Maybe the dealer may have one, but I know it will cost an arm.Anyone know who makes one that fits. Only option I've seen is an auto battery, its actually what was in it. Should I just get an auto one, or try for the marine battery?

• Baller
You need a marine battery - for vibration resistance. If you look on the existing battery there should be a group size listed on it somewhere. If you provide that then it would be pretty easy to find you one. Typical marine battery/box is a Group 24. Possible that if you have an oddball size in there that you just need to replace your battery box with a more standard size.

• Baller
It is the movement inside the battery that can be an issue. For a slalom tug on a private lake it might not matter, but for a normal boat that bounces off waves and wakes the stronger construction of the plates and case on the marine battery is a must.

• Baller_
I've done the same as @thager. Walmart 750cca bats. easily 4-5yrs in FL. Interesting on the plate construction difference @oldjeep. Did not know that. Small private lake here so hardly any bouncing around but that will make me think twice with my next bat purchase. There is only 10-12$ difference to jump to a marine bat at Walmart.

• Baller
@oldjeep - the '97 - '99 Nautiques (and maybe '00 - '01) have a battery well in the floor under the observer's seat with a snug, carpeted cover. @rodltg2 has the same problem we have on our '98-- the cover won't go all the way down because the battery is too tall. Drives me nuts (not a long trip). Thanks for the advice -- I'll try to remember it when this battery dies.

• Baller
I have always had good luck with Interstate Batteries. My first one lasted 12 seasons. I just put my third one in last year. My boat is a 1994 Nautique. There should be a decal on the underside of the battery box lid that gives the battery specs. Measure your battery box first..

• Baller

I have had nothing but 2 years max life out of Interstate Marine batteries on my MB Sports. Switched to standard auto battery (Costco) and going on five years now. Marine batteries are mostly designed for deep cycle, trolling motors and not the best application for your inboard. (Revealed by several sources, most recently, the head mechanic at the local Mastercraft dealer).

RPG

• Baller

@rpg 3 kinds of marine batteries

1) Marine starting battery

2) Marine deep cycle battery

3) Marine hybrid battery (deep cycle technology but set up to deal with the high current of starting)

For your ski boat you would use either #1 or #3 If you are using #2 they are not going to last long when used in a high current starting application.

In the case of interstate #3 would be their AGM and ECL batteries

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/m/category/marine

If your MC mechanic doesn't know the difference - then that would be interesting.

• Baller

@jhughes doubt it. If you look at the most standard sized Interstate marine starting battery (24M-XHD) compared to the same group number and CCA rating auto battery (MTP-24F), the marine battery is 4lbs heavier (48lbs vs 44lbs) - which should be a thicker case, thicker plates, better plate retention and the dual marine terminals. The marine battery is a little taller due to the case - they don't even make an auto battery with the exact dimensions of the marine batteries.

Rod, group 65 or group 34 should fit. I'm on about year 5 or 6 with my Delco automotive battery. I spend a fair amount of time on open water. It has lasted a lot longer than my last marine battery. Anecdotal evidence to be sure. But when this one goes, I'll buy another one just like it.

• Baller_
Biggest wave I ever drove a ski boat into was the result of a cabin cruiser on the big river. Thought I'd just power up one side and down the other. Forgot about the one behind it. Stuffed the nose of the boat straight unto the middle and took about 250 gallons over the windshield and onto myself and my wife. Course she was facing the other way and never saw the 56 degree January water coming over the top. But the battery survived as it ran the bilge pump for a long long...long time.

• Baller
@Wish Good thing it didn't take out your windshield. I was driving boats for a summer camp back in '89 and one of the other drivers dug the nose into a wave and it completely broke out the windshield. Also almost completely filled the boat with water. I don't remember if we had to get a new battery for sure but I think most everything ended up being okay except for having to replace the windshield.