Visiting Australia

lpskier

• Baller_

My wife and I are thinking about spending a Northern Hemisphere winter in Australia in the next few years. We'll rent a condo or a house and probably buy (and then resell) a car. I'd want to be very close to skiing and tournaments, and reasonably close to or in a city. I suppose that to ski and make friends, I'd join a ski club. Other than skiing, we'd like to sight-see, bike ride, play tennis, etc. Being near the ocean and a beach would be a big plus for my wife.

What communities and clubs should we consider? If we had to pick December through February or January through March (there may be visa restrictions, I'm not sure), which would you recommend? Is it a simple matter to join a club or is there a membership process? Is there anything else we should be wary of or consider? Are there any places that seem to meet our requirements that we should nevertheless avoid?

Thanks for your advice!

Lpskier

Hi, I can't comment about clubs, but for location that is beach side, try either Sunshine Coast Queensland, @ozski can fill you in. Or Port Macquarie, Mid to north coast NSW, Stoney Park is the local ski park there. Both towns are beach located, and both an excellent place to live, just watch that you might not want to go home, because you can probably ski all year round at Sunshine Coast, and 9/12 months at Port Mac. Best of luck.

• Baller
Gday. Agree with Punkee. There aren't that many "clubs", or "ski schools" for that matter, in Australia. Ozski Resort (Ski School) at the Sunshine Coast or the Gold Coast Water Ski Club are probably going to be your best bets. These are North and South of Brisbane respectively. Its a warm climate where you can ski almost year round. And there are lots of great beaches.

I have to agree with the two comments - OZSKI - just awesome. Close to Coolum Beach - nice little town, Great ski site and Emma Sheers is an excellent coach. While staying in Burleigh Heads along the Gold Coast I skied with the Gold Coast Ski Club which was very reasonable prices because it is a club - super nice people took me out a few times; great coach Jodi Skipper. Good luck - I'm jealous...I did not want to go home

Agree with all the above. I have never been to any of them but have heard great things. Bushy browns, Oz ski resort and stoney park are on the east coast and are near some beautiful beaches. Another place which would be awesome is Bonneys near Perth on the west coast also close to some amazing beaches. Good luck.

• Baller

The biggest trap is that you might not want to leave.. Our exchange rate is pretty good for you guys as well. We have plenty of skiing options here is SE Queensland right now, tournament scene is pretty strong. I don't see any downside really, I've pictures of the Northern US winter..

PM me if you have any direct questions, we are always looking for more skiers.

Australia is pretty big so it depends where you want to be. Don't discount Perth. Great beaches, loads of sun, two great ski clubs, one with 5 private lakes the other on the river next to the city. In season there's at least a dozen tournaments in the state.

• Baller

Been to OZ 10 times 1982--1991 inclusive. If you go there, you must make to sure to

attend the Moomba event. At least for the Finals day. Nothing like it elsewhere. Moomba

is in Melbourne. The rest of the time, you should spend some time at Perth for the 5 lakes

ski park there, that was developed by Frank Bonney (rip). Stoney Park on the East side is

apparently a nice site, although I haven't been there.

• Baller

Been to OZ 10 times 1982--1991 inclusive. If you go there, you must make to sure to

attend the Moomba event. At least for the Finals day. Nothing like it elsewhere. Moomba

is in Melbourne. The rest of the time, you should spend some time at Perth for the 5 lakes

ski park there, that was developed by Frank Bonney (rip). Stoney Park on the East side is

apparently a nice site, although I haven't been there.