How do I drain a SN196 Gas Tank?

doonez

We are trying to drain the tank on our 196 to clear the water and muck out of it. How do we go about it? The end goal is to try and get rid of a miss that seems to be really bad when we haven't skied in a while and then fades away after a few passes. We've tried cleaning the distributer cap, running fuel cleaner etc. We thought the fuel cleaner solved it for a bit but it is now back worse than ever. Any help will be appreciated!!

You can ways pull the tank out. I'm not sure how it's set in a 196 but, they had to put it in. That means it can come out. It's the only way to be sure.

FWIW, I pulled my tank out (Tige) a few years ago. The hardest part was lifting it due to the weight of the gas. Just pull the filler neck, vent, gauge sensor and the hold downs. It's just the awardness of the tank itself that is tricky. I bought a cheapo hand pump to get most of the fuel out first but, it just leaked fuel all over the place.

• Baller

Hmmm, simplest solution usually the best.

~really bad when we haven't skied in a while

~fades away after a few passes

Just ski it every day, lot's of passes. It's necessary and required "boat maintenance".

• Baller
Just wondering if you pulled the FCC off and replaced the gas filter? Dumping the FCC gas into a glass jar to examine the gas? Have you cleaned the anti siphon valve making sure it doesn't have ethanol caused stickiness? Like Jody says, the best way is the pull the tank, but I would rule all the other stuff out first. Just my 2c after going through all of the above.

• Baller
I'd just flip the boat over and shake the $h!+ out of it. Or, exactly what @A_B said. I'd go new plugs, wires, filter, and check/clean anti siphon too. Pump everything you possibly can out, then do all that. You drop $150 and should have no issue until your winter project, when we all should do that kind of thing anyway.

• Baller
Getting to my gas tank in my '97 MC 190 is a pain in the butt, however, it can be done. I can't imagine any boat being built around its gas tank, so there must be a way of getting it out by removing the things that are blocking it in. I have to remove about a dozen bolts and screws to get mine out and some of them are in very difficult places to access. You may have to remove some of the flooring, too. You'll obviously have to disconnect various tubes at the top of the tank along with the wiring for your gas gauge sending unit.

@NoProblem @TallSkinnyGuy yes the seat brackets are bolted to a metal frame below the tank. The head of both bolts are covered by the brackets which we are trying to undo however! When we try undo the nuts, the bolt turns - but we can't get access to hold it because its 'inside' those hollow seat brackets!