Finding the right rear boot setup

drewski32

• Baller
So I've been skiing for nearly five years on the same setup... Reflex front with HO laceup rtp. The rtp to me feels very secure compared to the average toe plate, but definitely allows more freedom than a high wrap, especially for my rear heel to lift going into the turn. The rtp is beat to hell and is ready to be thrown out, but I can't find a setup I like. The new laceup rtp's are less secure feeling. I can't ski on a regular rtp OR a highwrap... I've tried. I'm looking into the reflex r-style rear boot, but I'm interested in the OB4 release system which I would think is not compatable with the r-style. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Baller

I would suggest a Radar Vapor boot worn loosely....it feels like you have almost nothing on and you can decide on the amount of hold by how tight or loose you run the bungee laces.

On these your foot will come out with the booty on your foot.

• Baller
I've found the Reflex R-style rear binding to be a good compromise- I had been on double high wraps for years and was looking for a little more freedom of movement and flexibility for my back foot. The R-style with Reflex front took a little getting used to but has become very comfortable. I do think that using it with the OB4, there would be issues with differential release, even if you ran the R-style pretty tight.

• Baller

@drewski32 the OB4 System is compatible with the R-Style as it would be like using an RTP you would only need the front release system. @mmosley899 Will be able to answer those questions for you.

Like you I have had trouble finding stock RTP's that I like or that I can even ski on. I have to make my own now to suit my needs. Just because a comapny does not mass market a product that suits your style dosent mean you should give up hope.

• Baller

@drewski32 there is no problem using most any type rear toe plate, rear binding, or "R" style binding with OB4 System's single release. You just need to be sure that the rear foot will come free from the ski. I can also build you a rear style shell from our boots.

I have run some sets with the OB4 double boot system using a rear boot without the ankle cuff. This does allow more of the freedom from restriction found in a full rear high wrap or hardshell boot. I tend to avoid falls, so I am not sure how that affects the boot staying attached to your foot after the release. I may experiment with that some more. (Our lake is shallow enough to recover the boot if I lose it.) As long as the arch strap position stays up by your ankle, I don't think the shell will come off.

The other things I have used are keeping the rear ankle cuff more loose than the front, lessen the height of the rear cuff, and lessen the lateral stiffness of the rear shell...

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller
I just don't like the rubbery inconsistent feeling with wiley's. I felt insecure and unbalanced in them. What appeals to me about the reflex r-style is the location of the ankle strap. I like lifting my heel quite a bit in the pre-turn. I don't trust it in a fall, though

• Baller

@drewski I switched from rear rubber boot to r-style a while back mainly for safety reasons. I don't at all like regular RTP's and I have found this is a perfect compromise. Works exactly the same as a regular RTP but added benefit of holding the heel in place.

Another thread I think it was @BlueSki had a problem with it, but I've not heard of many others. It staggers me that there are people still out there who know very little about them and thus don't consider them an option.