Setup and Go (Trailering a Boat)

• Baller

Anyone else out there trailer a boat to ski? Any tips on making it go faster? For the most part, I spend more time getting the boat in and out of the water than I do skiing. Here's how a typical ski day goes for me:

1. Drive to open air storage lot (10 minutes)

2. Detach trailer anti-theft device (2 minutes)

3. Uncover boat (sharkskin with buckles, about 7 minutes)

4. Load crap into boat and put in bilge plug (5 minutes)

5. Back truck and attach boat (3-7 minutes depending on my luck)

6. Hook up chains and pigtail to truck and remove blocks from tires (2 minutes)

7. Get gas (10 minutes, every other ski session)

8. Drive to lake (10 minutes)

9. Drop the boat in the water and meet up with boat at dock (10 minute)

10. Ski!!! (1.5-2 hours)

11. Get boat out of the water and load up gear to truck (15 minutes)

12. Drive back to storage (10 minutes)

13. Park and detach boat (10 minutes)

14. Cover boat (10 minutes)

15. Attach trailer anti-theft device (2 minutes)

16. Drive home (10 minutes)

time on water = 1.5-2 hours

time off water = ~2 hours

At three times a week, this has really been starting to wear on me lately. Anything that I could safely cut out of the routine like the cover? Anything that I might be able to make go faster with appropriate adjustments? Surely someone has a system that they've optimized over the years.

• Baller
First trick is to store your boat in your garage at your house. That's about all I've got for you. You're pretty much correct, and that is why I'm only able to ski saturdays and not weeknights. In the meantime, I dream of living on the private lake with the boat ready in the back yard.

• Baller
I have the same problem except I am 30 minutes from the lake but I store the boat in my brother's garage two doors down from me. I don't see how you can take anything out of your routine unless you change the storage location to indoors and closer to you. I am now grappling with the idea of adding the time to set up and take down a slalom course each time. Clearly, living on a lake with your boat on a lift and the course always ready to go is the best way to ski regularly and not tire of the routine.

One big advantage I have is I leave boat hooked to truck pretty much all summer ( parked @ my house ) saves alot of time if you have another vehical to drive to storage.

My cover is tied with rope. Can have cover off in 2min. ( or less )

A trailer hitch alignment device can help also ( I would do if I had to hitch up every time ) The cameras look they would work nice, but their are other cheaper things out there.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

• Baller
You already skip the wipe down. Maybe keep a gas can full so you can eliminate the gas stop. If able to , leave the boat in the water if skiing back to back days. If your lake doesn't have one , ask about a tool shed / ski locker to leave your gear on site.

I did this for 3 years before I got my lake lot last year. It helped that my ski buddy and I alternated bringing the boat depending who got finished at work first. It would be nice for you if you could find a ski buddy that you trust to grab your boat from storage. One guy at our club used to provide pulls for one of the local college kids who would prep his boat and wipe it down when they were done. I think you could save a little time on the cover. With mine I could unhook the back and have it off in 30 seconds. Probablly have it on in 2 minutes. The design is very similar to these http://www.evolutioncovers.com. Other than that your analysis is about right. I guess that's why some guys play tennis.

• Baller

I live on the water I ski on, and my course is basically in front of our house. In order to keep the boat looking new, I have the routine of getting boat ready each night so it is ready to dunk and ski every morning/afternoon. I wipe and clean everytime (that is what takes me the most time).

If you had access to inside storage that was secure, lots of time loading/unloading/locking/unlocking/etc could be shaved off of that. If you have children, get them helping.......... I need to start doing that!

• Baller

Thanks for the advice everyone. I would keep the boat in the garage if possible, but my garage door faces my neighbors house (really stupid design, if only I'd known better when we bought) and there's only 20 foot of clearance. I can hardly get a Camry in there without a 3 point turn. Then the HOA sent me nasty letters for keeping it in the driveway attached to the truck. Ughhhh....

I do have a buddy with a boat which should be ready to go next week, so that will hopefully take some of the load off as I won't have to help prep and store his boat every time. Though I will help when possible.

As inside storage isn't an option where I live, it sounds like the best places to save time may be the cover and the hook-up (every little bit helps). Those tasks combine for about 25-30 minutes, so there's some significant time for the taking there.

For the cover I use a rope and post system running from bow-to-stern to keep it from collapsing under heavy rain (heavy rain completely ruined my last cover despite using 2 posts), but this is a bit time consuming and could be improved upon. I will take a look at the evolution covers @crashman mentioned, though I am worried about that design collapsing as there is no support between the front windshield and the stern.

For hook-up, my only 2 options may be a backup camera and replacing my current jack with a faster swivel jack.

Also, if I fix that pesky gas gauge I can feel confident running the gas a bit lower in the boat and get more trips out of one tank. Any idea where I can get a replacement fuel gauge for a 1992 ski nautique?

I don't really mind the 20 minutes of driving too much, so if I can save just 20 minutes on the rest of the routine I'll be happy. Thanks again!

• Baller
My first thought is that you're really slow. No offense. When I kept my boat in a enclosed storage, I could drive through the gate, open my storage unit, back up and hook up, pull the cover off, and be on my way in 7-10 minutes. You're double that in your estimation. Get the lead out!!!

My boat lives on the trailer at the lake. My wife and son are well trained, from the time I unlock the gate, I bet it is 10-15 mins until first skier is in the course. The difference from your long list, is that

- With 3 people uncovering, hooking up trailer etc, probably takes 3 mins.

- Most cases from the launch ramp to skier in the water is only 3-5 mins.

- With first skier in course, people on shore are unloading and setting up stuff that lives on shore (food, drinks, games ....)

Pulling the boat out takes another 10-15 mins. So I feel like I've got 20-30 mins of overhead per outing. Maybe I am fooling myself.

• Baller

Mine lives in the garage so it is more like this:

1. Load crap into boat (5 minutes)

2. Back truck up to garage and pull boat out to truck and attach (5 minutes)

3. Put tower up and slide the racks on (2 minutes)

4. Get gas (20 minutes, every 4 or 5 outings) - it has a big tank and I fill it

5. Drive to lake (10 minutes)

6. Put the boards and skis in the racks and install plug (5 minutes)

7. Drop the boat in the water and meet up with boat at dock (10 minute)

8. Ski, board, anchor and swim, pump up the paddle boards and use them (4-6 hours)

9. Get boat out of the water and load up gear to truck (15 minutes)

10. Wipe boat down once it is out of the way (10 minutes)

11. Drive back home (10 minutes)

12. Lower tower, park and detach boat (12 minutes)

13. Clean up seats in the garage, maybe use some Marine One wax as you dry on the hull while having a beer.

Doesn't seem so bad if you are spending the whole day on the water.

@DefectiveDave evolution cover fits tightly enough it won't hold water. Even on my neighbors 24 ft supra it works without any support post. Strap on a go pro and record your routine- then we can sit back and criticize!

• Baller

@ShaneH,

Storage is not enclosed, but point taken. I could probably do it faster but being in a rush really bums me out, and I start to forget important stuff like putting the bilge plug in. I tend to be rather slow and methodical going through the checklist. :-P

@dchristman,

The main time sink getting the cover on and off are the tie-down buckles. The trailer is 1992 and I have to feed them through holes in the platforms and around the supports. There are no actual mounting points and there are like 10 of those d#$* buckle things.

I'm experimenting to see if there are any buckles I can get away without using. I'm also looking into replacing the buckles with bungies or something faster, but I'll need to install mount points into the trailer. What are this quick-clip things?

The rope and support system also adds about 1-2 minutes both ways.

• Baller

Dave I don't have any tips for you but I know the feeling. I trailer my boat too. I bought a lockable tonneau cover for my truck so I don't have to unload as much stuff.

I don't leave the gear in the boat b/c it is under a carport and not locked.

• Baller

In the back is a 2.5" PVC pipe with a cap. It's set in a block of wood to stand it up. We put a 8" PVC pipe with a cap over the pylon - it fits over the trick release. The clips are like this:

http://m4.sourcingmap.com/photo_new/20131120/g/ux_a13112000ux0724_ux_g03.jpg

@klindy . My gosh. I need this. The boat was commissioned into action for the year today, and took me forever to get the hitch on! Sloped hill driveway, tight area etc! Could prove to be a lifesaver.

You know what it is like asking family members to help guide the hitch to the ball :/ .

Tonight the household was strategizing vehicles for the next day, and I made it a point that the truck and boat were hitched and not coming apart for awhile!