Vest + Gloves Recommendation for Beginner, budget $130-150

hbfs

Hello all,

I am a beginner who just learned to ski recently and am looking to improve. I can get up on a slalom ski but I am very far from being able to ski the course.

What are your recommendations for good gloves and vests? My budget is $130-150 for both, but I would prefer to stay on the lower end. Also, if anyone is in the San Jose, CA area, do you have any recommendations for good pro shops to visit?

Thanks for your help!

Overton's started using their own name on some gloves a few years ago, but has apparently stopped again. I still think these are fairly good bang for the buck, particularly with palm pads under them. I have tried more expensive gloves, but keep coming back to these.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Gladiator-Pro-Skins-Full-Finger-Waterski-Glove&i=715558

• Baller_

They quit making the Attacks and Pro Champs. I am actively searching for somthing as good as they were with no luck so far.

@hbfs Try a Liquid Force Cardigan. You can find them for well under 100 and they are the best vest out there.

• Baller_
I highly recommend the Gladiator Pro Skin gloves that @east tx skier listed. I have that exact same pair. I've had mine for 3 years now and no wear on them at all. Good grip. I even got mine on a year-end closeout for less than $30. I was just telling my ski partner tonight how impressed I've been with them. They are excellent.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

For gloves, I run the 3/4 finger version of these accurate gloves. $25. But it depends on what sort of gloves you like, I like the ones with thicker padding and can't stand the thin stuff

http://www.wakehouse.com/products/accurate-world-cup-water-ski-glove.html

For a uscg jacket, I run a radar xvest which I like a lot. If you happen to be the right size you can get a closeout for $80, otherwise closer to $150

http://www.wakehouse.com/products/radar-x-vest-life-jacket-closeout.html

Stay away from the Overtons "Neo Skins". The neoprene is quite thin and blew out on 2 pair very quickly. I returned them and moved up to the HO sports Empire gloves which held up well last year and still have a lot of life left in them.

• Baller

my recommendation is TRY THEM ON. Gloves should barely fit new and dry. the new masterline mastercurves are great if they fit. Overton's has them at $55. They also have a bunch of vests. Not as important as gloves IMO, but as a newer skier I recommend a USCG vest.

I can put on my 20 year old neo vest and run the same number of buoys, but I may miss my opener if I'm using a poorly fitting glove.

Thanks for all the tips! I forgot to mention in my original post, I do need a USCG vest due to regulations around here.

As a beginner, would it be beneficial to look at gloves with dowels?

Thank you all again, especially @oldjeep. I picked up the Radar X-Vest from the closeout sale and a pair of Radar Vice gloves for $60.

I had been looking at the X-Vest before, but it was way out of my price range until you linked me to that closeout sale! I already put in my order, but why is it so cheap? Is it last year's stock?

• Baller
@hbfs good choice. I have that exact same set up. That X Vest offers a lot of body/rib support, and is still no limiting at all on movement. The Vice gloves with the dowels only took me about 2 sets to get used to, and now I LOVE them. The only time they give me issues is when I overly think about them.