Senate ?'s

harddock

• Baller

My boy 14, 5'8 130 has out grown his Goode 64.25 105 9900 SL. He is a novice course skier 15' off 23- 25 mph range. We are thinking a Alloy 65' Senate might be a good replacement for his ability and size. He is thinking of going from a RTP to a double boot. Is there a difference between a 2014 and 2015 Senate other than color? Am I correct in thinking he doesn't need graphite especially since in a season or two his size and ability will warrant a new ski.

Any helpful thoughts on this?

• Baller
I don't have a lot of experience with the Senates but the Alloy Senate would probably work fine for him for now. When Matt was little I went the used ski route for a couple of skis before I went new. Personally I wouldn't rush him to a double boot from an RTP I am not sure what the motivation would be. There are lots of good skiers on RTPs and given his level right now he will have to spend some time adjusting to the RTP that might slow his development a little.

• Baller

I found an NOS 2014 same as 2015 except for color and a ok I'll take it price. The way we seem to outgrow stuff with him I didn't want to spend a lot and a Senate used is hard to find.

By the time he out grows this he should be well past 34 mph and close to the end of growing!

• Baller

@harddock I am on a 2012 Senate C 65" @ 135 lb. I love this ski. I have ridden it as slow as 28mph and now I'm at 34 mph. I'm no expert but 23mph could be a little slow for a 65.

I have seen some new close out 65's from 2012-13 for a good price.

• Baller

Update. We found a 2014 Senate 65. (not a C) So it is orange instead of green, Double boot and with about a week and 1/2 of free skiing and two days in rough water on a public lake course of which only 4 buoys are skiable we head out for an INT 2 round slalom almost in our back yard. Starting out @ 21 15 off (should be an easy pass) 6, back @ 23, 6 again. third pass 25 6 again ( personal best #1) 1 @ 26.8 (PB#2). By INT rules he is eligible for his mulligan and now he runs 2@ 26.8. (PB#3)

Lunch and in the afternoon he skis round 2 this time starts at 23. makes 6, runs 25, and finishes with 4@ 26.8 (PB#4) proving it wasn't just a fluke or lucky run.

Not a bad day on a new ski, double boot (he really likes), and nearly no practice. He (and I)happy!