Best pylon for I/O

gt2003

I currently have a 2007 Tahoe Q6 with the 240hp, 4.3L MPI, V6. I went and looked at an 04 Malibu LXI when we were down in Texas but it just wasn't what I want. I'm waiting to find a ski tug I absolutely love before taking the plunge. Alan suggested we could install a pylon on my Tahoe and practice technique while free skiing (pull outs, elbows locked in, soft front knee etc). We've got access to a slalom lake a little over an hour from my house where the gf and I will drive every couple of weeks to ski as well. So, what are the best pylons out there right now and what is the difficulty of install? I'm assuming there is a mount in the bottom of the boat and the pylon is removable but I have no experience with them. Thanks

• Baller
There really isn't a good way to mount a pylon in an I/O without custom fabrication. You would need to fabricate something like a v-drive pylon in the motor compartment where there are solid things to tie into, the floor isn't designed to carry the load of a pylon. Not really any reason you can't be skiing off the ski loop in the back anyways.

• Baller
If there is a solid ski hook on the boat it should be ok. I would use a shock tube also to help keep the rope away from the prop. We skied many, many rides behind our 71 Glastron V164 IO. I installed a ski hook from Overtons on the rear top center of the deck behind the motor box with a piece of 3/4 oak behind the glass. Worked fine.

• Baller
Get a tripod pylon, they work great. Something like this http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/ski-tows-fixed-height Mount it a bit in front of the engine box and with the rope attachment point as low as possible but high enough the line is not catching on the hull/fittings. I just cut down the main tube to the height I wanted. I was able to get under my floor, between the stringers and use a SS backing plate (locally fabricated) to bolt to. For the side mounts I added 1/2" marine plywood backing under the gunnels and used over sized SS washers. Worked great. I had a Glastron outboard but helped a buddy do same with his I/O. Was "quick release" with pins to remove but ended up just leaving it there all the time. Boat drove and skied way better but all relative, still not the same as a tournament boat. I also got large dock box handles and mounted over the rear cleats, kept them useable but slack line would skip right over.

Drilling holes isn't an option I'm interested in. The gf is more than happy to ski from the tower and I'll ski from the eye. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. Thanks folks. Hopefully that ski tug is out there for me SOON

• Baller
Flush mount base in the floor would never work. The structure isn't there to support it. They don't just drill a hole in the middle of the floor and mount a plate in a ski boat, there is more too it. You would rip the pylon right out of the floor.

Exactly @oldjeep , I was just sYung what would be acceptable to meIF it were possible. I'm not willing to alter the boat as much as would be needed knowing I'm selling it once I find the right ski boat. We'll ski it the way it is until the right boat comes along.

• Baller

Years ago my dad had the marina install a better pylon on his I/O...sorry I can't find a picture.

Picture a the main post of a removable tripod pylon. They got one that had a flattened bottom section. They cut a hole in the top deck at the transom, then through-bolted through the transom.

The transom is the strongest part of the hull so it was very sturdy. It also got the rope up to a better height.

It was not as good for tracking as it would have been of it could have somehow been in the middle of the boat. That said it was an I/0, it was never going to track great.

Here is a pic of a similar idea from the Overton's catalogue.

http://cdn.overtons.com/product/010/10868_L1.jpg?interpolation=lanczos-none&downsize=450px:*

Really leaning towards a Malibu LXI right now. I'd like to have Zero Off so probably a 2008-2009. I'd like to stay right at $30,000. A tower and wedge are preferred but not 100% mandatory. It must have an open bow.