Crash Video: OB4 premature release (user error)

jdk99

• Baller

Big crash free skiing this week while trying to dial in my OB4 Binding position. Came into the first wake flat and my front foot popped out resulting in a pretty good OTF (see video. sorry for quality and my dramatic teenage daughter's yelling while I fall! Might want to mute it :) ).

Learning points:

1) Don't set the tension too low. I fractured my ankle last year and therefore set my bindings 1-2 settings below recommended tension to ensure early release. Not a good idea!

2) Check the setting before each set. My front foot tension dial had backed out 1/4 turn from my original setting but I only recognized that after the fact!

3) The bindings work well! While the crash looks bad, you will notice that my rear foot disengages immediately. I put the ski back on and continued skiing. A little sore the next morning but otherwise no issues.

regular speed

slow mo

• Supporting Member

It is definitely the Lesson of the Week that you really don't want to set (any!) binding releases too low. I plan to update my "guide" very soon to reflect this fact.

Aidan's semi-famous video where he DID eject shows that some very tight settings will still clear right out when things go south.

I do hope these experience help put to rest the fear about 1-in-1-out with OB4. When that other boot needs to come out, it does.

@jdk99 Your data may be valuable. Can you share the exposed extents of each of the screws at the time of this fall? (Preferably in this thread to avoid confusing the other thread with "known bad" settings.) Oh, and your weight if you don't mind!

@Ilivetoski maybe the size 12 plate and a 10 boot should have been a give-away!!

After an issue over here with a hardshell user not wanting to listen to proper advice it just reinforces the fact that we are doing a dynamic sport and there its unlikely there is a perfect product for every situation. Skiing is a risk game... and personally I prefer choosing my risks. I bolt my boot to my trick ski in full knowledge there is no release without something breaking... and that might be me!

I worry sometimes that nowadays (and i am not that old) people are transferring the responsibility for their risk to others; rather than taking personal responsibility, and making the effort to understand and accept the risks involved in the sport we are doing.

• Baller
One reminder for OB4 users: the instructions that came with the system say to check your release setting often, especially after a crash/release. I had a fairly big crash last month (lousy position into wakes offside) and an appropriate release with the OB4. Jumped on the ski next day without checking the tension screw position and did the same front foot release trick as @jdk99 (his was definitely more exciting). Examination showed tension screw had backed out about 1 1/2 turns.

• Supporting Member

@Bookm_dano I also recommend blue loctite on the tension screws to make that a lot less likely. Also did you see my other thread where I'm looking to collect screw measurements to see if we can use for an easier way to set up and verify.

I've just updated my totally unofficial guide with a lot of this, and will continue to do so as more data comes in about the settings.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1M3z1wtYSyhHVQGdpaH_UOD2dEW0jhYlMHtD0eoizspg

• Baller

@Than...here are the data for the settings during the crash. (See other thread for current settings). More info than you need but here goes:

185lbs, 5 11

Rear binding .5 turns cw from factory to presumed L (56): 0.314

Front binding had backed out to .25 turns cw from factory: 0.304

So as you can see I had set my target setting accurate for my weight but for a type A skier. I'm probably at least a type B skier and maybe type C (not short line but stupid aggressive!). Further the front had backed out .25 turns (4 ft/lbs). Clearly too conservative hence the blowout.