The first ever Malibu Cup will take place this weekend in Alabama!

Horton

• Administrators

http://www.ballofspray.com/images/2015/11194629_10155517677720319_5427868108323469778_o.jpeg

The first ever Malibu Cup will take place this weekend in Alabama! This Elite Pro Slalom Event will held on 2 sites (about 25 minutes apart). The 2-round record prelims will take place in Duncanville, AL at Lyman Land on Friday, July 3rd. OnJuly 4th, the top 12 men and 8 women with the highest scores will move on to the semi-finals on the river behind the Tuscaloosa Sports Commission. This will be a ski show for a July 4th celebration that will include a farmer’s market, block party, skiing, water demos, kids zone, and a huge fireworks party at the amphitheater just down river.

Click here to watch the live webcast including prelims.

Click to view the event schedule.

We look forward to having you all join us for the first ever Malibu Cup!

Event Sponsors: Malibu Boats, Acme Props, Connelly, Krispy Krunchy Chicken, SeaDek, PCM Marine Engines, USAWaterSki Foundation, Coble Water Ski & Wakeboard Camp, Zero Off, Goode, D3, Babe’s Boat Care, Eagle Sports

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
@Horton me and @art90notch are going to head up for Friday. It's a 3-4 hour drive north from here. I don't think I can make the logistics work for both days, being the 4th of July. I'm really wishing I could and hoping for a great event.

• Administrators

@RAWSki I assume that is not a sarcastic question. If it was a sarcastic question it is sort of funny.

That event has been being planned for a year but our sport is so disorganized and poorly promoted that nobody except the participants know about many pro events. I assume that people local around the Malibu tournament site I know about it because of local TV and radio.

I want to be careful not to be critical of the actual organizers of this event. They are friends and doing the best they can. They put in a lot of time a lot of work and they have other jobs. Without them there would not be an event. They are not marketing professionals. On the other hand Malibu has a full time marketing staff.

My point is that the sport as a whole does a terrible job of self promotion internally and externally. It drives me nuts. I read misconceptions here on BallOfSpray all the time that are created by lack of information about Elite skiing.

Ok you hit a hot button of mine. Off my soap box now.

• Baller
When I first heard about the event, it was here, and that was a month or so back. I went on Malibu's website, and it is not on there. Actually, for someone who builds the World Record Slalom(W) boat, there site looks like 3 event doesn't exist. You have to go to the boats, and pick the Response to even see skiing at all. They've got UFC fighters and Country music singers all over the thing, but no skiing. The Malibu Cup isn't even in their "News" section. No traditional skiing is at all.

• Baller
I will give it to anybody hosting and/or putting together a pro event, my hat is honestly off to them. Given that, BOS is the only place I ever hear about an event or even know where to look for one. Given the absence of a "Pro Ski Tour" landing page and schedule of pro events (that I am aware of), @Horton, have you considered a place on your site for everybody to go to for the Pro Ski Tour schedule - sort of a consolidation of events and participants, etc? Might draw some more traffic to your site

• Baller
@Horton, yeah I'll definitely be there, I live in Tuscaloosa. (though, the Girlfriend is not too happy about me spending holiday Friday and the 4th with skiing, rather than lake cruisetime or beachtime)

• Baller
Definitely difficult to keep up with these events, all elite type events that is (Open & Master Men & Women). Seems like it really takes a technology gooru to be tied in to all the various social media and web locations to stay connected to this sport. In addition to BOS, regular visits to the Pro Ski Tour site on FB, https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Pro-Ski-Tour/231448585318, is also helpful. It is kept fairly current. I was first aware of the Malibu Cup when I saw it on the USA Waterski website, the Major Events Calendar.

• Baller

From what I can find this is the mens list

1 Parrish, Chris

2 Smith, Nate

3 Winter, Frederick

4 Howley, Joel

5 Winter, Terry

Asher, Will

6 Odvarko, Daniel

7 Vaughn, Corey

8 Travers, Jonathan

9 Bartalsky, Martin

10 Detrick, Brian

11 Mcclintock, Jason

12 Wilson, K.c.

13 Finlayson, Trent

14 Parsons, Nick

15 Sedlmajer, Adam

16 Adams, Nicholas

17 Luzzeri, Matteo

18 Stadlbaur, Benjamin

19 Brantley, Tom

20 Efverstrom, Johan

21 Neveu, Stephen

22 Yager, Tyler

23 Allais, Carlo

24 Morgan, Mike

25 Brooks, Wilson

Womens List

1 Jaquess, Regina

2 Mcclintock, Whitney

3 Truelove, Karen

4 Costard, Manon

5 Krueger, Geena

6 Arthur, Nicole

7 Dodd, Breanne

8 Adriaensen, Kate

9 Morgan, Lauren

I believe 5 of these ladies can run 39. April not being on the list could be an oversight. She usually skis in the events she is planning that would up it to 6.

• Baller

Isn't Nate sponsored by Nautique? If so, do you think he would hold off on a new record until he is behind his sponsor's boat? Not sure how those business relationships work...

He had an excellent 1-ball at 43.

• Baller

If a sponsor really put some serious cash up for a record, that would be a very tough business decision. Would it not? Guess it would come down to how much Nautique pays him. Would 50 k bring out a record regardless of the boat used?