PanAm Games Toronto 2015

wtrskior

• Baller

The largest media and public exposure our sport has seen for some time will be taking place in downtown Toronto, Canada from July 20-24. Who knew???

I don't have all the details on airtimes and what not, but I assume it will be aired on CBC, nationally (Canada) like the rest of the games are. The venue is pretty cool, right on Lake Ontario, in a man made channel that has been used for ski shows in the past (Canadian National Exhibition) and currently a rowing club. Tickets are currently sold out, but hopefully more will be made available closer to the date...

Please share anything regarding the Pan-am games in this thread.

http://www.toronto2015.org/water-ski-wakeboard

• Baller

@Edbrazil I was not born yet! lol however I've heard from many that the 79 worlds was a big, successful event; Joel McClintock won Slalom that year I believe? Please share any more info you have on the 79 worlds and any other you have on Waterskiing in the Toronto area

This is by far the biggest event in Ontario (Canada?) since that 79 worlds and the largest stage our sport competes on. Just wanted to start the dialogue on the games, they've been getting a lot of hype ( + / -) from the local media and residents based on the cost, perceived attendance and increase to traffic.

• Baller

My recollection (not firsthand) is that the worlds and many other successful tournaments have been held at long pond center island.

I heard they moved these ones to increase exposure but the skiing conditions aren't as good...

But that is just third hand word at best... I live on the other side of the country!

• Baller

I've driven by the site, the grandstands are up. Jason McClintock apparently help set things up too. We got tickets to the finals by lottery months ago...

I understand you can buy tickets to the preliminaries but don't know if more blocks will be available for the finals. It should be a great event, right at the western downtown lakeshore.....its protected by a breakwater and freshly lined with stone rip rap.

• Baller

@jordan different & unrelated Stephen Collins believe it or not... he runs the Ontario tourneys

@wolfgang Jason and Whitney skied it a few weeks ago but I believe Jeff and some of the wswo crew set up the courses. They are running cables across the channel that unfortunately will have to be removed after the games. We were told initially (earlier this year) that there would be a tournament there in June and maybe the nationals this year but no go apparently.. hopefully they will sort it out and we can do tournaments there in the future. It would be a great spot to do a pro event! Scores should be decent. Long pond would have needed even more shoreline work than the Ontario Place site and the logistics of accessing it like you said.

• Baller
@wtrskior, and @jordan, Jeff McClintock, Paul Roberts, Yves Beauchamp, Terry and Stephen Collins (that runs the Ontario Tournaments) were the gentlemen involved in setting the ski courses at the PanAm site. Paul was the one that wanted that site, Jeff and Yves built the course and the jump and were the lead in the install team. Yves, Terry, Jason and Whitney have all skied the site and said it ski remarkably well as of all the work they have done to the walls. They said it should make for an excellent event. Great spot for spectators as well.

• Baller

Panams are being broadcast on CBC in Canada however I believe they are only showing 2hrs a day which would include all events in a given day.

Many of the more spectator friendly events are getting broadcast on periscope.

• Baller
The CBC App says to have over 600 hours of steaming coverage for Pan Am not sure what they will show as far as water skiing. Prelims start tomorrow and I am going to take in some of the action for slalom and trick, looking forward to it!

• Baller

WATERSKI

WSW300000

My Time | Toronto Time

Previous PhasesNext Phases

Preliminary Round

Preliminary Round Results

Unofficial

Results

Rk Name Score

1 Canada MCCLINTOCK W 3.00/55/10.75

2 United States of America JAQUESS R 1.00/55/10.75

3 Peru CUGLIEVAN D 2.00/55/11.25

4 United States of America LANG E 3.00/55/12.00

5 Peru DE OSMA M 2.00/55/12.00

=5 Chile GONZALEZ A 2.00/55/12.00

7 Mexico CHAPOY C 1.00/55/12.00

8 Chile NASER F 4.00/55/13.00

9 Colombia JARAMILLO P 3.00/55/13.00

10 Argentina BOTANA L 0.00/55/18.25

LIVE

• Baller

Whitney top seed into the slalom finals Thursday, she will be happy with 3@39. very good score for this site.

thats a great link @MattP thanks! dont know why it wont load on the app for me, but I"m getting it on the browser. Wish I could understand Portuguese...

Conditions are really nice today in Toronto, and the water looks very good at the site as well. Slight head tail.

They appear to be announcing in English, French and Spanish. pretty cool!

• Baller

@spuddy looks like the wind started to pick up quite a bit as the day went on. Nate is definitely the favorite! Jmac went down a little early at 38, but thankfully made the cut.

Tell us about the site, it appears you are over by Ontario Place - can you walk all over? anything to see or avoid? Going to be spending the day on Thursday.

• Baller
The site is just on the west side of Ontario place. It was quite windy got the women as well but very windy for the men. We were on a boat that was rented by water ski Canada if you are in the are for the next few days I believe the have tickets for the boat.

• Baller
@spuddy I have tickets to the event on Thursday, not going on the boat. I didn't think you could access the old Ontario place grounds, but your photos were from the north side of the site, now makes sense since you were on the boat. How was it? I believe some well known retired skier(s) have shelled out a bunch of their own cash for it. its a big friggen boat! lol

• Baller

OfficialOPW - 20 Jul 10:00

Results

Rank Bib Name Round 1 Preliminary Round

1 36

United States of America SMITH Nate

2.00/58/10.25 2.00/58/10.25 Q

2 1

Argentina JULIO Javier

4.50/58/11.25 4.50/58/11.25 Q

2 29

Mexico AMBROSI Sandro

4.50/58/11.25 4.50/58/11.25 Q

4 19

Colombia CORREA Santiago

3.50/58/11.25 3.50/58/11.25 Q

4 11

Canada MCCLINTOCK Jason

3.50/58/11.25 3.50/58/11.25 Q

6 23

Dominican Republic PIGOZZI Robert

3.00/58/11.25 3.00/58/11.25 Q

6 20

Colombia MESA Jose

6 16

Chile MIRANDA Felipe

6 38

United States of America PICKOS Adam

3.00/58/11.25 3.00/58/11.25

10 26

Mexico LAMADRID Carlos

2.50/58/11.25 2.50/58/11.25

11 6

Brazil NEVES Felipe

2.00/58/11.25 2.00/58/11.25

12 2

Argentina MALARCZUK Martin

4.00/58/12.00 4.00/58/12.00

12 17

Chile MIRANDA Rodrigo

4.00/58/12.00 4.00/58/12.00

14 18

Colombia BOTERO Mateo

3.00/58/12.00 3.00/58/12.00

15 31

Peru MUSTAFA Mario

2.50/58/13.00 2.50/58/13.00

15 10

Canada LLEWELLYN Jaret

2.50/58/13.00 2.50/58/13.00

17 27

Mexico LAMADRID Alvaro

0.50/58/14.00 0.50/58/14.00

18 25

Guatemala DUNLAP Andrew

• Baller
Yes understand it was saved by some retired skiers because for the event today there might have been 30 people on a three level boat! Not going to make the money back that way. No cant access Ontario place anymore which is too bad could have had a good sight line from there!! The view from the boat was good but it was really rough in Lake Ontario

• Baller
Nope tickets are "Sold Out" best bet is to contact Water Ski Canada and see about tickets for the boat they have rented. I did yesterday and had a great time, only about 30 people on the boat, not a bad view, you can hear the announcers, overall a great day.

• Baller
Just got back from a fun day @ the PanAms - jump & wakeboarding prelims. Dodd jumped 219' into a bit of chop. More interesting (to me) was seeing Jaret Llewellyn coming 4th in prelims at 45 years of age... I competed against him (and of course lost by a wide margin) way back when I was 16, at the 1986 Canadian Nationals. Managed to get into the Athlete's seating, a few feet away from Nate & Regina.

• Baller

I was with a guy who had a special access card, so he got our party into some priority seating. The athletes' "seating" is actually standing room at the top of some bleachers which face the wrong way, so it's not ideal, but the positioning was a bit better for jump than the general audience seating.

As for recommendations, like all PanAm venues, there are no in-and-out privileges, so bring what you need. That includes sunshield, hat, and—if you don't like $12 sandwiches, $4 water and $8 beers—your own refreshments!