Boat transport

mbabiash

• Baller

I'm having my new boat transported by u ship tomorrow.

The seller asked if I wanted it towed with the cover on or off.

It's a 2014 nautique.

What should I do?

It looks like descent chance of rain for most of the route.

Matt

• Baller
Sounds risky if the driver puts in on. He may not do it right and end up with a ripped cover and scratches on your boat. I would only do it if the previous owner or a dealer put it on and it's meant as a tow cover.

• Baller

How far is it traveling...and for how many days? If depends on if it is a "trailerable" cover...and if it will be the owner that is (properly) putting it on.

I'd almost lean towards leaving it off....it would suck if it chafed the gelcoat

• Baller
Pull plug, leave it off and plan on cleaning everything when it gets home. Rain doesn't matter, but road debris and tar does. I run the highway with my cover, but if it isn't put on correctly it could really damage the boat.

• Baller

I'm with @davemac on this one. "It depends" but I'd lean toward no cover. It's not just the gel that the cover can chafe- it can flap against the top of the back seat vinyl as well as the motorbox vinyl. Also rubs the black off the windshield if the windshield frame is painted.

• Baller
I would not cover it. Unless it is shrink wrapped only bad things can happen. I have practiced maritime and recreational boating law for more than fifteen years and I have dealt with numerous damage claims related to damages to towed vessels when covered. Rarely have a I seen a claim related to damage to uncovered vessels under tow on the road or on the water

• Baller

I would look for a mobile heatshrink wrapping service and have it done.Peace of mind.

It's a 2014 Nautique...It's worth it,you paid big bucks already to get such a nice boat!

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

I always cover them. It's not just rain that gets in the boat. Road grime is not fun to clean.

Here is what I do, in fact it's what I did to the boat he just bought.

Lowe's sells rolls of 2ft cellophane (in the packaging section).

Place microfiber towels on the corners and stress points on cover to boat.

Wrap the plastic wrap around the mid section of the boat and over the towels several times (where the cover hits the boat).

Cover boat with the Nautique cover. Like Shane said, it's made to be towed.

Slip a towel in between the bow stops and the cover so it doesn't rub a hole.

This should prevent any scratches. Even if it doesn't, I would rather buff a scratch than get road crap stains out of carpet and vinyl.

• Baller

Had mine delivered from Utah to South Texas and requested the seller box up the cover and remove mirror.

Boat arrived at my house 3 days later dusty and dirty from travel but a water hose, scrub brush, and rags had it looking like new again and no damage from an incorrectly placed cover.

As for worrying about rain.........................it's a boat it's supposed to be wet. \pull the plug and go.