Perfect Pass Help

tfriess

• Baller
Hello, I have a 2005 SN 196 with Perfect Pass version 6.4. This is long overdue as we've had it a few years, and Perfect Pass has never really "worked". It's not a necessity as it never sees a course but would be nice for free skiing. What happens is, the display will turn on and off while the boat is running. And when it is on, IT BEEPS A LOT!! Also, it'll start timing. Kinda hard to explain what it's all doing, but something is definitely not right. Does anyone know if this is a common problem or if the display is shot? Might be some loose connection? Only 670 hours on the boat, so I don't think that should be an issue. Thanks. Any help greatly appreciated.

• Baller
I'd definitely start with 12v source and grounds. After 2 years of running mine, I had to completely rewire it because my 12v source at the ignition was only giving 10v. I still can't figure out how as the same wire was giving 12v to the gauges further down the line but where I tapped in PP, it wouldn't read that high.

While the display is on, menu over to the settings and see what voltage it is reading. Then, call Perfect Pass. The first thing they will ask you about is voltage. But their customer service is fantastic and they will get things straightened out for you in short order.

• Baller_
I've also heard that fish finders from nearby fishing boats may activate the timing. PerfectPass told me to unplug the Smart Timer when skiing in open water and only plug it in when using the course. With ZO or ZBox, this is not an issue.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Hi Guys,

I think I might be getting a similar issue here. Because of the drought, I haven't skied since the 4th of July here in Utah, so I'm guessing my battery is a touch drained, so I just put the charger on it while I came in here to post this. Anyway, I just turned on the ignition button and then turned the key on my 97 SNOB with z box and the perfect pass would come on, beep, and then turn off. It was in about 2 or 3 second cycles. I'm hoping it's a just a battery a touch flat like @Stejcraftben is saying, but if not, and I need to start checking grounds and connections, does anybody on here know where those grounds and connections are to be found?

• Baller

Well, with the charger hooked up and running, I just turned on the electrical again, and now it's not doing it, so that seems to be a good sign that it was hopefully just a 2 month flat battery not quite giving it the voltage that it wanted. I would love to still hear or see anything that you fellows could show me on the areas of connections for me to check just in case.

thanks

• Baller
@escmanaze Unfortunately or fortunately (depending on your situation), perfect pass hookup does not have a standardized hookup. The only real way to figure out if you've got a voltage issue is get under the dash, follow the wires, and bust our your multimeter. Check voltage at your battery with the key on, then compare to the voltage at the wire feeding your perfect pass. If there is any drop, check the resistance between your ground wire going to perfect pass and the battery. The resistance should be low.

• Baller

Hi Guys,

Well, it worked great on Monday all day, so I'm going to just assume (and hope and pray) that it was just a little bit of a flat battery. By the look of @Waternut s post, I better hope that to be the case because that process doesn't sound fun at all.