vest recommendations

WBLskier

• Baller

I have almost same measurements as your dad (a bit younger, but heading in that direction :) )

I guess he has some "muscule belt" in waist area )

With that body construction some vests tend to "slip up" in the water, which is an iritating moment.

Buckles genegally do not help because waist area has diameter similar to lower part of chest.

Your dad probably will like kind of "flexible&stretch" vest that follows body line thus staying attached to body without "slip up".

I stopped my search with Checkmate from O'Neill which stays on body where it should be.

• Baller

I usually recommend USCG vests until you start getting serious. IMO, a CG vest can help impacts if it's a solid foam vest. Once you start getting into the sewn in pad pockets to aid in flexibility with those super thick uscg foam vest, it becomes a death vest. I've broken/cracked ribs 3 times using uscg vests and all 3 were broken at the edge of the thick foam or in the gaps between foam. The last straw was cracked ribs with the radar X-vest. My theory is, you break ribs in the areas with heavy pressure difference. I've taken so many more hard falls with my comp vest and *knock on wood* haven't broken anything.

Both vests can be dangerous so weigh your options carefully.

• Baller

I've been using comp vest (Eagle) for a few years. I wanted the extra float and safety of a USCG for one of the places I ski, and (at the advice of many here) just picked up the Radar X Vest. Used it this morning for first time, and was very impressed. Actually forgot I was wearing something different until I dropped, and my head was notably higher above the water.

I went with the Large (5-10, 185, 42 chest) seemed to fit great. If Large is the size, there is a reputable seller on ebay moving some for $100 w/ free ship.