Somewhere to ski while at Disney land (Anaheim)?

jnicol

@jnicol: I am writing a book: what every young man needs to know about chasing bouys while married. I am now an old man, still married. My advice to you, earned the very hard way, is don't take the ski, don't whine about every lake you drive past, and go all in on family vaca.

You may face a different situation then most, if so ignore my advice. But your statement "my wife finally talked me into...." Set the alarm bells ringing.

• Baller

Take your ski and a rope. There's many opportunities. Hook up to the paddle boat around Tom Sawyer's island, It's a Small World would be a nice long run, or add a little excitement to your skiing and avoid the wild animals on the jungle boat tour.

Otherwise, what Cayman2 said.

• Baller

@jnicol Disneyland is nice but was the first try. Disney World is way better. More parks with Magic Kingdom (essentially an improved copy of Disneyland), Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom (actually pretty cool) along with Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach water parks. Outside the parks is Downtown Disney with good restaurants, shows and Disney atmosphere (west coast one dinky in comparison, squeezed in). All are big, very cool and Disney makes it possible to go to multiple parks in a day. A lot more for a full vacation and more for you money (you think skiing is expensive, wait till you hit a theme park). Other than travel potentially more the price is about the same. So thinking of your family and your investment in the trip it is the way to go.

That Jodi Fisher and the LaPoint's are crazy close has nothing to do with it, nothing at all...

My boys were 8 and 6. Got in the park, Waited in line for 45 minutes for a ride on magic mountain. Got to the bottom, 6 year old says "Dad, the boat turns sharper than that". I too cannot see more than a day there, but as@jimbrake says each to his own.

• Baller

I don't want to spend much more time in those parks but my kids love it and that's the kick of it all. They (4 and 7) are off the hook excited and it's fun to watch.

My last trip down there was a few months ago. Stopped at Hortons on the way down and skied. Spent a few days in a San Clemente beach house to surf and play. One day over to canyon lake to ski with Larson. 2 days in the park with the kids and then home. Was a great week. That's how we roll

@Cayman2: good points. If there was site close and open, it would be pretty easy to fit in without compromising the vibe of the trip but you're right about focusing on the family. Although I am in a bit of a unique situation where I don't work and do spend a lot of time with my kids as it is. So a 'vacation' isn't really extra bonding time, but going to Disney is 'for them' and not for me.

I can't really imagine spending a whole week there though.

To the suggestions about Disney 'world'.... flights and accommodation all booked, and we live in the west.

..... anybody know of a road course around there were I can get in some track time? (kidding... kinda)

• Supporting Member

@jnicol other considerations in order of distance from Disneyland are: Knott's Berry Farm (15 minutes), Universal Studios (40 minutes) & Magic Mountain (about 1 1/2 hours away). I would not do Magic Mountain on Fri/Sat/Sun especially if you are going to stay through the evening as the crowd can be a little rough.

2nd Tier ideas: The OC Fair, rides/events etc (15 mins away). The Marconi car museum (10 mins). Wild Rivers water park in Irvine (15 mins)

The beach is always a good option. If the wife mentions South Coast Plaza or Fashion Island for a quick shopping trip, this is not a good option. However, retain this as bargaining chips for your next ski trip. LOL.

• Baller

I'd reiterate what the wise @Cayman2 wrote. "don't take the ski, don't whine about every lake you drive past, and go all in on family vaca."

I recently considered taking skis on a recent visit to Oahu and decided that burning a day, bumming a couple of rides, but being on someone else's schedule (despite one of kids being fully into it) wasn't worth the overall cost to the family vacation experience. We ended up creating some other great Hawaiian memories and spending time with old friends. I'll make up my slalom passes at home later this summer.

• Baller
If your kids are young Lego Land is in Carlsbad 1.2 hours away from Disneyland. The Lagoon is empty in November. Get up early and ski 7 am. Park opens at 9. Have breakfast go in at 10. More than 2 days at Disneyland is tough. Legoland is good for 10 and under. The beaches in Carlsbad are cool. Due to el nino, the water will still be warm, good to boogie board. You can pay to play at Calif watersports or if it is a Friday thru Monday I can drive. There is a course.

• Baller
@rodltg2 We had skied on glass at the Quarry and gone home by 11:30 this morning. Some of us will be there tomorrow at 9:30 am. PM me with your info if you want to ski on this trip or the next.