Binding Plates - Single versus Double - Influence on Ski?

skibug

• Baller
I have never tried a single plate set up for my bindings. I was just wondering if any one has experimented back and forth between single plate and double plate; and what the outcome (effects) were? I imagine it has some influence on the way the ski flexes and rebounds.

• Baller

@skibug There are a few variables to consider here. First, I'm assuming you're talking about Radar's Sequence plate vs. their double plates. If this is the case, then yes, there are definite differences.

The Sequence plate offers the option of using the sliding inserts at either end or both. If you use the inserts at both ends, the Sequence plate allows the ski to flex like an Interloc system. You can also chose to bolt down the front and just let the back slide on the inserts, or visa versa. This lets you locate where the ski is freed up to flex more. If you bolt down the Sequence at all six mounting points, it is a REALLY stiff plate and will make your ski stiffer.

The two separate plates are somewhat in between the two extremes made possible by the Sequence plate, although they locate the flex right between your feet where the Sequence moves the flex fore and aft depending on which end you bolt down.

The amount of difference this makes to the ski's behavior is more than just academic too. For example, D3 skis are laid up to flex properly with two separate plates bolted firmly to the ski. When I put the full floating Sequence setup on a D3, I'm unable to stop the persistent tip-bite the extra flex causes. But D3's shine when using separate Radar plates.

A ski that flexes a lot carves nice tight turns with less tail-slide/smear. Lots of flex favors turning at the expense of acceleration. But if flex gets too soft, the ski can deliver inconsistent tip-pressure when scrambling because of inconsistent loading. At the stiff end of the scale, the ski will accelerate better but tend towards wider radius turns unless the tail is loosened up to smear more easily.