I need help finding a new ski!

JDR

I am 43 years old, 6'2, 230 lbs. I've been slalom skiing since I was a kid (never on a course but we've always skied as aggressively as we can - meaning, get low and throw up a big wall of spray). Usually ski around 32-34 mph. I've been skiing on the same 67 inch KD 7000 for close to 15 years, trouble is I hardly ever ski anymore simply because it is too hard getting out of the water, by the time I'm up (if I get up at all) I'm too fried to do much.

I haven't shopped for a water ski in a long time and have no idea what's out there. What I'm looking for (if it exists) is something that will be as easy as possible to get up on (in a double boot) but still perform well in the turns. Any suggestions? Thanks.

• Baller

I weight about 220 and ski on a 69" Obrien Synchro. It's a heavy SOB but it's right at 8 inches wide so it gets me up out of the water pretty quickly. What boat are you skiing behind? When are you needing it? I may be upgrading before next year. I've got a size 13 foot and it has the XXL boots and they fit nicely.

I'm skiing behind a Gekko ski boat. Course is not likely in my future - just New Hampshire free skiing. Thanks for the suggestions. I've been looking at that HO TX, sounds very interesting. Unfortunately I don't know any place around here where I can try a ski before buying so any insights and advice I can get is much appreciated!

69 Radar Theory. I was a similar weight when I started skiing around the first of July. It's been a great ski for me. Has also been a great teaching ski @aupatking and I have gotten at least 5 first timers up on it (including me). Ski is still plenty fun to get out and turn on and have a blast.

Both the Triumph and the Theory are going to blow your mind, considering you're coming from a 15 year old ski that's too small for you. If you can demo, awesome! But both will serve you well on open water (or in a course). If you can't demo, buy the newest of the two you can afford. The newer Theories are based on the Vapor and the new Triumph is the "TX."

Ooo, and I second @davemac 's suggestion for Clincher style gloves. I resisted until I spent four days at a ski school and bought some Masterlne Pro Locks on day three. Haven't looked back since.