masterline slide loop

• Baller

The "slide loop" is a great innovation that several towline companies use. I'm just kicking myself

for not thinking of this splicing variation many years ago. I used to fid up jump towlines with a

small double-thick small loop at the boat end, that just barely popped over the pylon knob, with

a little forcing.

Back circa 1970, when I was making "Ultra Handles", which were golf-grip type handles, I would

fid them up without knots. Just double-weave splices. All tested to 700 lbs., and checked for

proper length. That was back in the days of Glad Handles, wood handles, etc.

• Members
@webbdawg99 what brand are you talking about? There are several different brands that make a slide loop rope. Masterline just came out with one. The regular pro rope might be what your thinking about. It looks just like it, but I find more challenging. It might also be your pilon. What boat do you have?

• Baller
When I am driving I frequently have to grab the rope behind me and flip it up so it doesn't catch on the swim deck ('97 MC Prostar 190). I have tried just using the loop in my rope without doing any kind of cinching and it tends to come off the pylon when I do the previously described flipping maneuver. I was looking at buying one of these ropes because I thought it would allow me to snug the rope on the pylon without doing the loop-through method that tends to cause extra wear on the rope. Is my problem just that I have a cheap rope with loops that are too big? Or should I go ahead and get one of these ropes with slide loops that can cinch down a bit?

• Baller
I have no problem with the Masterline loops. They go on and off easily. My only rub with the Masterline ropes is you can't remove sections that you don't use without cutting them off. Like 15 or 22, if you start at 28.

• Baller

Noting @LeonL remarks. In the Back When, some top skiers, such as Mark Crone (won Masters

once) would not have 15 and 22 on their personal towlines. Big plus is that it was unlikely

someone would borrow his line when they didn't have one.