Radar Senate size advice needed

condorpilot

• Baller

Hi guys. This is my first post but never really felt worthy of posting on the forum previously so please go easy on me!

Ok, looking at buying a new Senate based on what I have read on site but really don't know which way to go size wise. Friends have suggested that my current ski is holding back my progress. I ski mostly in the course.

Radar' s weight/ speed chart puts me on a 69" but everything I read seems to indicate that this may

be too large if I were to progress much more in my skiing.

Currently weighing 195lb, 5'11" and on an old 68" Connelly Concept and trying to improve my course skiing.

Ski @15 off and easily run 6 @ 28 to start. Kinda stuck this season on 5 @ 30 but have completed 4 @ 32 on a good day. P.B is 5 @ 34 which is the fastest I will ever ski being in my 50's.

Not very impressive or consistent compared to you guy's but what I lack in technique, I make up in enthusiasm.

I am UK based and in no position to compare different ski sizes before I commit to what for me is a major purchase.

I have however had the opportunity to ski one set on a 67 Senate which supported me fine at 28mph.

Any constructive advice would be most welcome thanks.

• Baller

Being about your size and owning one in the past....(if you are going to be skiing 30 mph and faster) I vote 67". That 69 Senate is a really big ski.

I'd be interested in hearing one of the Radar guys chime on on what speed they base that sizing chart on for the Senate...

• Supporting Member

Welcome @condorpilot

I am a 6'4" and go 250, and ski the course 10-20% of the time. I am on a 69 Senate Graphite. I would think you would 1) want to get the Graphite version and 2) go with the 67". With that much course skiing, you should easily progress to 30-34mph and shorter line lengths. See @Horton 's review.

• Baller

Thanks guys for the welcome and advice so far.

The 67 I tried was the first 'modern' ski I have ridden. I was amazed by the way it performed with very little input required from me, especially in the pre turn/ turn where it it performed effortlessly.

My dilemma was whether it would be too small to allow me to practice, progress and develop good form at the lower end of my course speeds (28 - 30) . My fear was that whilst the 69 would allow this initially, I wouldn't want to be stuck with a huge ski which may compromise my progress at higher speeds or need to be replaced when /if, I start to go shorter line. This is certainly what your comments confirm so far. I would think in any event that my Concept possibly has less surface area than the 67 Senate anyway.

For what its worth, my current weight is the heaviest I have ever been due to ill health which has now been addressed and the weight is gradually coming down. I suspect the extra pounds I gained may have hampered my performance this year over previous seasons anyway on my current ski. I am confident that it will go down to my usual weight of about 185lb in the near future.

thanks for the advice so far, keep it coming and yes as commented by davemac, would be very interested in what those Radar boys would have to say.

• Baller
Just repeating what others have said... if we're talking about a 'regular' senate (not 'graphite' or 'senate C'), my brother had a 69" when he was 205lbs and getting back into skiing (about your level) and he found it sluggish. Go for the 67"... 'graphite' if you can afford it. Yes, it may (or may not) be a teeny bit undersized at 28, but Ii) you'll figure it out, and ii) it should ride very nicely at 30 and above. Don't let your warmup pass hold you back from buying the right ski for your (currently) toughest pass.

• Baller

Andjules, I was hoping to stretch to the graphite version given my skiing is mostly in the course.

Something which also really confused me, was being told by a dealer recently that the new trend for wakeboarders was to board longer length boards than they previously would have ridden.

Allegedly, according to her, most course slalom waterskiers are following this and choosing to follow this fashion. She recommended I should do likewise with my choice of Senate length and go longer.

Personally I though this sounded a bit dubious as I have never heard of this before.

Now, maybe I am just being cynical but I suspected maybe a sales ploy to sell the remaining stock of 69 " , ( no 67" available from stock apparently) at this time of the season.

Personally I have never heard of this 'new fashion ' to go longer in the slalom world. Perhaps this may be relevant for new skiers learning deep water starts , course at very low speeds and on less performance based skis but not for what I am looking at or wanting to do.

I may just lack knowledge of the industry latest. Anyone else heard of this ?

• Baller

@condorpilot I'll give you my 2 cents, I'm no expert but I have been down this road. Listen to @davemac & @andjules.

Many years ago before I knew about BallofSpray I took the advice of a local shop. Later I found out they know snow skis and nothing about H2O skis. I was unsure and they told me to go up a size. I hated that ski until the day I put it on a UPS truck for PA. I could never get it to make a tight turn. I picked up a cheap used ski that was 1" smaller and started progressing in the course.

I have heard some talk here on BOS about skiing the biggest ski you can still turn but those are short line skiers with awesome skills. Us guys at -15 need to stick with factory recommend sizing.

Also, as others have said in this discussion (and many others about this ski) a 69" is a Big ski.

• Baller

If anything, I think the trend towards longer skis has come and gone and the bias is now heading a little shorter (although she's right, guys are riding longer wakeboards with wider stances, for now). A longer ski gives you more to leverage during the pull (good), but more to turn (usually not good).

Anyhow, Mr Radar's opinion above is the one to listen to, and I'm glad to hear that you're going to stretch for the Graphite. I think that'll pay off in the course. As per @Bill22 's experience, my brother gave up his non-carbon/non-graphite senate for an older 68" Radar RS-1 he found for steal (probably about the same surface area as a 67" senate) and it was a night-and-day difference... It's funny, it's easy to imagine that the stiffer ski is only for young guns but I think it actually benefits us old guys the most - more speed with less effort. Which means we get tired a little slower ;-)

• Baller

Hi guys didn't get my ski last year due to change in health but all settled again. My weight has increased to a steady 200 lb.Skiing ability the same with aim of eventually making shortening at 34.

Opinions please should I move up to a 69 Senate now or will I still be ok with the 67. Alternatively the Vapor Alloy is within my budget.Is it too much ski or should I consider a 68 or 69?

• Baller

The new Senates turn really well and should be plenty of ski at 67" and 200 pounds. I wouldn't look at a 69" until you weigh 235.

The 69.5 Vapor could work, but think you will enjoy the 67" Senate more. I try to ski on as short of ski as possible for turning when things don't go as planned.

• Baller
Could you perhaps call somebody at Radar and talk through your questions? I'd think that at 200 lbs you'd like a 69" ski better at your age. I'm 48 and unfortunately heavier than you, so I got a 71" Senate. I was struggling on a very old 68" ski until I got this new Senate and I could not be happier. The ski is quick, stable and a blast to ski. I'm working to lose weight to get down to your weight, and plan to be on my Senate down to that weight. We will see how that works. Anyhow - my point is with the distance from Seattle you should talk to somebody at Radar for some advice before you buy something either too large or too small.

• Baller
To clarify, I am taking about a Senate C and and Vapor standard with. I would also note that I think the Vapor skis a little bigger than its length. Could be a little extra width or speed steps but I think it handles a little more weight than say my old 9500 size for size.

• Baller

FYI - most of the time when someone says Senate "C", they are talking about the graphite (carbon) senate. I know most of us know that but I just want to compare apples to apples. Spend the extra $ for the Graphite.

Now back to 67 vs. 69.

from you first post: "I have however had the opportunity to ski one set on a 67 Senate which supported me fine at 28mph" Get the 67" and go have some fun!

• Baller

Hi guys.

On same subject of Senate size / type.

Friend of mine also looking to purchase. He is 6' 160 lbs. Mostly skiing in course at 28/30 and looking to progress to 34 mph. He is right on the weight limit of a 65" .

Also looking at a Profile boot US 9.but not sure if he should buy true to size on this boot or whether it will pack out and loosen up when wet/broken in and end up too big.

Questions are

Senate Alloy or Graphite?

65 or 67"

Profile size US 9 or go up to a 10 for best fit/ response?

Thanks