Reflex mod

Cam

• Baller

I have recently moved to a Reflex 750 after a spate of 404 breakages, only wish I had done it sooner.

I have noticed a lot 500 & 750 releases wear out quickly at the "hinge" where they attach to the plate, when I received my set up the hinge screws were fully threaded and I can only see that working as a saw on the mild steel arms, I bought some longer bolts with shanks and cut them down to hopefully make my release last longer.rcjkw1tvdru9.jpg

• Baller
Yeah I changed out the "saws" (threaded screws) and used a screw with a shank on it. I measured the worn area and the unworn area and it didn't help that the original screws were considerably smaller than the original hole too. My new oversize screws have been working great for over a year and I haven't noticed any more wear.

• Baller
I have never made a horseshoe but I watched one being made at Travers Ski School one year by Jaret Bull. He basically mixed up some bondo, put it on the plate and fastened the boot in. Once it held its shape he took the boot out and let it dry then trimmed it down.

• Baller

I have made one out of Ploymorph easy, two small counter sunk screws underneath plus a bit of resin to secure to plate .

Ploymorph is lots of small plastic balls that melts in boiling water ,squeeze the balls together to create a big lump, put into boiling water again and then mould around boot, with boot on plate carry out process several times until happy with results , after a few hours very durable8z2wb9t9yvnh.jpg

1rjv16ylu5ej.jpg

• Baller
I used WD-40 as a release agent. I sprayed a light coating of WD-40 on the bottom of the boot and clipped in with the soft bondo. Once the bondo started to cure (only a few minutes), I removed the shell and started trimming the bondo with a knife. Works great. I watched Andy Mapple do this and realized how easy it is. My boot is much more stable.

• Baller

I used bondo per Jaret Bull. Drilled a couple of holes in the plate to give the bondo some purchase. Wrapped the boot in saran wrap so it wouldn't stick. Filled that arch area with some up the sides of the boot.

I am going to change out those screws. Not sure why Reflex does not do that from the factory.

• Baller
The plastic screws cut into the shell because they are preloaded onto the shell. The upper part of the shell definitely moves and a heel cup isn't going to stop that. It just spreads out the wear so you won't notice it as quickly. Don't get me wrong...reducing wear is not a bad thing but after all the time and money to make a heel cup, you could probably just get another shell after the 5-10 years it took to wear it out.

• Baller
@waternut from what Ihave been told, it still goves more contact between the boot and the plate, maybe better feedback must be something in it,because lots of people have done something with it, and reflex have now followed their lead producing the heel cup for their upgraded setup, why bother and increase cost if it doesn,t do anything

• Baller
Maybe it is better. I can't know for sure since I haven't tried it. However, I do know that history is riddled with successful performance products that only affect the squishy stuff between your ears and I ski the same with a soft liner as I do with a really stiff performance liner...albiet it does take a few sets to adjust between the two.