Help- 6.0l has lost it's spunk

Bdecker

• Baller
Our 2011 Malibu LXI seems to have lost a little this season. It is still pretty good, but some passes it just seems a little slower out of the hole. Runs nice and smooth at speed, but with our short site the lack of holeshot is becoming noticeable- just did plugs, wires, etc... Any other ideas? It's a 6.0l with 650 +/- hours. Running 89-93 octane

• Baller

2011 manual says l96 gets 91 octane. This is from the indmar manual.

Fuel– Your engine was designed and certified to operate on the unleaded fuels listed below. Fuel ratings must be based on the (R+M)/2 method and meet the specifications ASTM D4814 in the US. These fuels need no additives for proper operation.

•Malibu LS3, L96, LS7, MasterCraft LY6, L96 and Indmar LS2 engines 91 octane

•All other Indmar, Malibu or MasterCraft Engines 89 octane

• Baller
Pond is a little weedy but not terribly milky. Just called dealer and it turns out they didn't do cap/rotor in their "tune-up". Thinking I'll start there and fuel filter, then move to compression test. We've been running 93 all summer, so I doubt it is fuel- manual for this engine (L96) says 89- the "hammerhead" gets 91

• Baller
Pond is a little weedy but not terribly milky. Just called dealer and it turns out they didn't do cap/rotor in their "tune-up". Thinking I'll start there and fuel filter, then move yo compression test. We've been running 93 all summer, so I doubt it is fuel- manual for this engine (L96) says 89- the "hammerhead" gets 91

• Baller_
@Bdecker: you might also want to get the injectors cleaned and change all the fuel filters. If you are doing a compression test, I would also add a leak down test with that, much more revealing than just a compression test. I would also run a timing light on it to verify it is correct. Cap and rotor corrosion is pretty common in marine environment, with 650 hours that should have been part of the process unless they checked it and determined no change was needed.

• Baller_
The reason I asked about water clarity is that mud, clay, etc. can get trapped in the channels in the block. Then, when the engine cools, it can harden like concrete. Eventually, this restricts water flow enough to overheat small portions of the block and melt a cylinder or two. This can cause a loss of power and require a rebuild.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Check the easy stuff with the engine - tune up, fuel filters, compression test and a code check to make to make sure all the sensors are working right. I'd bet you are OK there but the cap and wires might help. This is pretty standard maintenance - even I do this.

I'd have a look at the prop. Props get dinged up and can lose fine tuning. This can take the edge off performance. I've had more boat performance issues due to bad props than engine problems.

Eric

ps Regarding fuel octane, my Cessna had more power running low octane car gas than the 100 octane avgas. Climb and speed were measurably better but the engine did run hotter. Makes sense as higher octane has a slower burn to prevent knock. Premium fuel has other advantages but it should not improve HP.

• Baller
My Indmar 6.0l MC eats plugs for breakfast. I change them every year but run regular copper top's. I had the same symptoms as you, slower out of the hole a few miles off the top end. Changed the pugs out and bam, back to normal. I did a little research on MC team talk and a tech there gave my suggestions for the copper tops inseam of $$$ platinums. I change them every year but run regular copper top's. I have the LQ9 motor in my boat.