Pylon moving in new ProStar

Martin

• Baller

Think the design is right -- you want thru bolts for maximum strength for both the pylon and the tracking fin. I've understood some manufacturers don't do that, and was told that they experience fins coming off, along with a chunk of the bottom of the boat!

What I don't understand is why not have the fin side of the bolt be shaped and inset into the fin so that you don't need two people to tighten it back up again?

• Baller
Not questioning the strength of the mounting system, just questioning why 1.) it comes loose and 2.) you need two people to tighten...one of whom is under the boat. They have been putting pylons in boats for a mighty long time now would think that part would be all dialed.

• Baller
If all that's not enough, I spoke with the owner of the boat I drove and he said the 15 differs from the 14. The 14 had the pylon bolted through to the tracking fins, but the 15 has changed to a metal plate glassed in to the stringers. I've never looked inside at either, but both methods are coming loose...

• Baller
In theory the idea had merit assuming it never comes loose. My understanding is those fins have been glassed in for years and this should add some rigidity to the design. I could be off base here but know my neighbor just had his LXi fins break loose after a shallow beaching and they were simply glassed in

• Baller
I think on most boats the fins are designed to break away if you hit something otherwise it could rip the hull apart. If the pylon is loosening up, take it to the dealer and make sure they send someone out from the factory to investigate. That should not happen on a brand new $80,000+ boat.

• Baller

Has anyone removed the bolt that passes through the hull to see if it had any thread locking compound applied? Just a guess is that you have an aluminum pylon they gets sun exposure so it should be mildly warm. The bolt from underneath is cool from the lake water and cycling the boat in/out of water may cause enough expansion/contraction cycles to allow the bolt to relax or break the thread locker free and relax.

Wild guess in my speculation above but for anyone that has had a pylon loosen I would apply red loctite and torque the bolt to proper specs.

This may be the other issue is a build process issue and some of the boat assemblers are not putting a thread locking compound on the pylon bolt when they should.