Launching without a ramp

wtrskr

Anybody have experience launching to a lake without a ramp? Is it doable? Any tips?

There is a lake a want to get my boat onto but it doesn't have a ramp. The incline on land seems doable and the lake bottom seems pretty solid. One issue is about a one to two foot ledge at the shoreline caused by erosion, but I figure I could shovel that down.

Think a four-wheeled truck would get the job done? Maybe boards under the trailer tires or something similar to ensure no sinking in mud?

• Baller
I used to launchon a sandy beach because the lauch was twisted and barely useable. Needed 4wd. It did get a little soft after repeatedly using the same spot. I helped the truck with the boat giving a little push when it got too soft

I'm not sure the incline, it will depends where I decide I have the best shot of making it work. Above water, the incline in most places is similar to the public ramps I use in my area. I think that grade continues into the water.

I wish putting the boat in was the difficult part, cause if it didn't work I'd just head home and be on my way. I may be able to get a small tractor on standby which I'm thinking should have no trouble pulling the boat out.

Did it once - learned my lesson. Never again. Needed tow truck with winch.

I would recommend the preforated metal decking the military uses for improvised landing zones. It can be easily laid with minimal equipment and can support a lot of weight. If you are around a base with SeeBees or Engineering commands, you can find the used planking at the DRMO.

• Baller

"Hold my beer and watch this! I don't need no stinkin concrete." Launching is easy. Retrieving is a bit more challenging.

I launched my 76 Nautique so many times "off concrete" that it was more comfortable than a fancy ramp. Look, plan and execute decisively and you will be OK launching without a ramp.

Aircraft landing mats are OK for temporary use - I have used them. But you can be more creative.

Eric

• Baller

@wtrskr that's great fun. Launch in the morning and practice retreiving immediately. Then you have time before dark to figure it out and if you can't get it out, go for a ski, think about it and try again in a few hours

Take a shovel, a long STRONG tow strap and a second 4wd for your first trip.

What you've described sounds easy to me. Photo please of the site and vide of your first attempt

Also you don't have to pull straight out. If you angle the trailer and car it won't be so steep and that makes it easier

The idea of boards etc is good but I've never had to. Keep the 4wd wheels out of the water not matter what!

Fun! And exclusive water

• Baller_

I launch from shore all the time at my parents' cottage. The bottom is hard packed sand and some gravel.

At other sites with soft shores or steeper inclines, we have dug two trenches for the tire tracks and installed concrete blocks to ground-level in the trenches. That works very well.

For your first try, as some have recommended, have another 4WD and good tow strap.

And, when you video the first visit, don't forget to include some video of you skiing that private site.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
Depth about 10 feet from shore is really important. Three feet or more is helpful. The boat can help power the truck out if needed. my friend does it all the time at his lake but I think he threw some stones in too. Bigger stones are better.

I did some homework on this and found some plans to build a semi-perm ramp from timbers cable locked together and using a hot dipped galvanized expanded metal mat for traction. I never got permission from the land owner to build. I have a 4wd truck and 8000lb winch so I wasn't t too concerned about getting out but don't underestimate the forces involved extracting a trailer sunk to the frame in mud.

• Baller

Only thing I haven't seen mentioned is to go on foot into the water and verify the condition of the lake bottom all the way out to where the end of the trailer will be. I've launched at 2 sites with no ramp and knowing the launching area in your head really helps. I waded out so I knew the condition of the lake bottom so there were no surprises as I backed in.

On spot had about an 8 inch step from winter ice. The trailer made it up/down that fine on its own. 1-2 feet is quite a bit and I would keep the truck wheel above that at all costs. It will not be solid after digging it out so its a good spot for the truck to get stuck on. Also knock that step down all the way across and add some extra space on each side if you choose to go in at an angle. It will have to be at least 2 feet wider than the track width of the trailer.

If it's hard packed sand the trailer tires will still sink in a bit. Both when unloading and loading the boat.

Make sure both trucks you bring have solid tow points if you need to pull the boat out using 2 trucks. Also make sure they both are 4x4 and full size trucks for the first attempt.

Thanks for all the info. Based on the comments thus far, I think its worth a try. The lake bottom by shore is gravely/gravel-ish but I think I may run into some muck on top of that. I haven't gone in too deep to check - only to about 5 feet out thus far. The truck will be on natural vegetation (grasses/weeds that have been trimmed) so the tires shouldn't sink in unless its wet.

If I had to guess, I'd say the slope is probably about a 1/3 rise/run ratio at the place I was looking at launching (just by taking a tape measure and angling it here at home). So if that slope continues into the water, that'd put the trailer at 3 feet of depth 9 feet out. I think that'd be about perfect, right?

I'm not sure when I'll get to give this a try. Busy weekends trying to organize the crew, the weather has to cooperate, and it's not all that close to where I live. I'll give an update when I do.

Bumping this thread to share that I successfully launched the boat without a ramp. Used a small tractor. It was a little hairy for a moment. The wheels dropped down at the lake's edge and the frame was hitting the sod. Ended up just plowing through because the soil was wet and the frame only had a little way to go to be clear.

The way out was actually pretty easy because we put some big rocks at the lake's edge.

Lake is a little over 1800 feet. Threw in a portable slalom course and quickly ran a couple of sets before having to take it out. Awesome.

Thx all for the tips.

I do have a little bit of video. It's not real high quality because one of my kids took. The adults were busy on a time constraint. I haven't loaded it to the computer yet.

Permanent course and a ramp would make the drive more worthwhile and productive. Don't know that is in the cards, and I'm not the owner of the land. Pretty nice setup though. Well protected from the wind and cattails all over the place to break up the waves.