Should I buy a comp vest?

escmanaze

• Baller

@paco decision mostly lies in if you want a pullover vs zipper. I had an original decibel that fell apart, mostly at the zipper.

I see a lot of skiers in vapor vests around from the original green 14 to current and they all look to be in good shape.

I have an oneI'll checkmate that has great padding and floatation but it is a bit bulky when wet and rides up when I fall.

Dolphin finally responded to my emails, after a couple days of chatting back and forth I ordered one this morning. Hopefully it works out good. Supposed to be in-between a comp vest and cga vest in thickness and flotation. I'm excited, I think they look nice also. Just hope they hold up well!!

• Baller
Kinda deciding between an O'Neill Revenge, and Assault with the back support. I prefer to rely on my own back and core generally. But having injured my L4/L5 a few years ago, might be nice to have the extra support. There is a nearly new one in my size on Ski-it-again. A new revenge would not be too much more though. Thoughts on the back support? @ALPJr ?

• Baller
@sunvalleylaw I've been using a USCG Revenge for over 7 years and obviously really like it. The assault has a similar cut but the buckles are exposed. I've found the hidden buckles makes it a litter easier to get the handle tight to my body even with the extra bulk of the USCG flotation.

@UWSkier I do like it a lot! Very comfortable, a lot thinner than my old uscg, and I barely notice the flotation loss.

Only complaint, not for dolphin but any comp vest, would be rib protection. I'm a terrible skier and have taken a lot of nasty spills, but I took a season ending rib shot that I can't help but wonder if my old thicker USCG vest would have protected me? It was probably bad enough I would've been hurt either way, but I can't help but wonder....

• Baller
I recently ordered an Eagle Spyra Gyra comp vest. Hoping it keeps me above water. It is my understanding (in speaking with someone at Eagle), that they are using 13mm front and 20mm rear in their vests for a little more flotation (rear used to be 13mm).