Obrien Mapple Signature Slalom

Howa1500

• Baller

It appears to be an O'Brien Mapple from the early 2000s with Contact Bindings.

In one summer I completed my first full pass at 30 mph on that ski (different color), then by the end of the summer had a few buoys at 36/22. The following summer I hopped on a D3 Z7ST. I still have love for that original Obrien, but what a difference getting on "new to me" technology!

You should upgrade…a lot better skis on SIA right now!

It's slightly bigger than my dads other obrien competitor, 67.5 (another ancient ski) so I'm gonna say 68. But it's a very stiff competition/tournament ski. I'm still new to the slalom world so there's no doubt in my mind I'm not using it right or to its potential. Ski won't let me roll on edge at all. I start to lean and it stands me right up, never experienced that on any other ski? It digs so hard 50% of the time the rope gets ripped out of my hands @Wish

• Baller_
Set it aside, mount it to a wall, sell it for $50 and go to Ski It Again and find a Radar Vice, Senate, or Theory and start to really enjoy skiing. That Mapple ski worked for Mapple and CP and a few others. If you can't get it to work it's just not worth the haste and certainly not worth waisting good water time.

• Baller_
That is a wider ski. Wider then the Strada/Vapor (67 would be perfect in a Stada/Vap/Vice) Probably on the edge of to small but maybe not. I've been at an annoying betweener weight most of my skiing yrs with most brands. Going bigger when on the bubble is probably not a bad idea but considering the ski he's on now is so narrow up front the 65 might feel great. It will be far more user friendy. Would be nice to get weight chart. But for that little bit of scratch to buy that ski..I'd risk it. Can always get you money back and repost on SIA.

• Baller

I have a O'Brien Mapple I bought in 2002, it is a 68 with the same binding with a RTP and I am 6'2 for 170 and I started slalom last year and I can pass at 32mph. But I did not use the ski for 13 years and I like the ski because I ski on open water and it feels so stable (it is a tunel). Everybody told me to change but I cannot buy a new ski so I adapt to it. If you click on my picture you will see the ski.I have the stock setting and I have Andy's setting as well if someone need it.

I'm not a huge fan of the ski, someone who knows what they're doing or a pro I bet could absolutely rip it up on this ski, but being a novice the ski seems to drag and sink a lot, could be cause of how narrow the ski is and I'm not going fast enough. I think what happens is, because the bindings are literally right to the edge of the ski (a very narrow ski) I start to roll on my edge and the water hits the binding causing me to drag and stand me up, could be completely wrong though

I have that same ski and really like it. I haven't tried out the newer skis so I might just not know what I'm missing. I know a guy that switched from the Mapple to a newer high-end ski and a year later, at best, he was getting the same number of balls on the course. I'd switch to something newer if I felt that the ski was holding back my progress.

The one thing I will say is that the ski seems to work better for me at 36 mph than it does at 34.