Storing a boat in humid FL

Wish

• Baller_
Calling all gear heads. So will most likely be putting my boat in the yard for the next several months. May be able to run it but not often if at all. I'm good with all that is exterior as to protecting it from the elements. It's the GT-40 motor not running for that long that worries me greatly. . Maybe a fuel additive?. Possibly running Ethon free gas through it for a while over several sets? Ideas..thoughts..

• Baller
My folks leave 2 cars down there for 6 months and don't do anything special to them. As long as you can keep all the critters out and have a really well vented cover then I sure wouldn't worry. If condensation is a concern then park it full.

• Baller
Put regular red Stabil in with your last tank before storage. Run the engine enough to get it all through the system (taking a set is perfect). Have the tank pretty much full. Ethanol free gas not necessary but wouldn't hurt. Change the oil when you pull it, keeps all the crap in it from settling into sludge while it sits. An engine fogger (Stabil makes one too) probably a good idea as well, actually pretty easy to do. You don't have to worry about freezing but putting in some RV antifreeze wouldn't hurt either, keep it wet.

• Baller
You can fog a TBI efi through the intake, but if it is MPI (I believe the GT40 is MPI), then you would need to pull each spark plug and fog each cylinder. An "engine fogger" as BRY called it is just a thin oil that is intended to keep a rust ring from forming when the piston sits in the same spot in the cylinder shaft for an extended period. You can by spray cans at the local auto parts store that say "fogging oil" on them. A squirt in each cylinder of an MPI engine will do the job, then pull the kill switch and turn the key to the start position for a second to get the pistons moving in the shafts and spread the oil around a bit. This whole process may not be necessary if it is just going to be sitting for a couple months. I don't know how quickly these rust rings start to develop, but if they do it will lower the compression in the cylinder.

• Baller

@Wish Keeps all the internals happy. Here in WPB things seem to rust overnight....

http://www.goldeagle.com/product/sta-bil-fogging-oil

Usage Directions:

1.Start engine and remove air filter. 2. Spray fogging oil into air intakes of running engine. 3. Shut engine off after 10 seconds. 4. Remove spark plugs. 5. Attach extension tube and spray fogging oil into each cylinder for 3 seconds. 6. Replace spark plugs.

I usually just sprayed in the intake when the engine was off, in each cylinder and then turned it a couple times with the kill switch pulled (just a rotation or two). Did this when I winterized in WA but the principle is the same for a long layup.

Guaranteed once the 6.0L gets there you will want to leave yours up as long as possible....

• Baller

Red stabil is not what I'd recommend. Lots of info on its overall poor quality. It will gel in short time.

Seafoam is all I use and I let gas sit for 8-10 months in Temps that get down to -30

High test non ethanol fuel topped up with 2 cans of seafood is all you need to do for a few months.

• Baller
Honestly, I think your most effective solution is to hook a hose up to it monthly and run it for a few minutes. Make sure your last set is on a full tank of non ethanol, cover up well but dry and ventilated with 2 fans running 12 hours a day with a towel underneath to prevent rust spots on carpet, motor box propped up a few inches. Yankees go to such extent as fogging or MM oil because they CANT run their boats because of freezing issues.

• Baller

@liquid d it's because @Wish has more boats than he can use.

I've used Stabil for years, no issues at all. Know lots of people who use it without issue as well. Heard second hand stories about it gelling but only in real cold. In WA (maybe mid 20's once in a while) and FL just don't see it as an issue. Sea Foam good product too.

I have had diesel fuel gel in my truck in real cold in Canada though. Probably should have used some diesel additive. What a bitch to get that started...

• Baller
The stabil gelling problem that I'm aware of was when stabil had the regular formula and when it was put in e10 gas you would get little red gel balls clogging up your carb. They quietly changed the formula and added to the e10 bogyman myths. Cleaned that crap out of a couple snowmobiles, never used it again and shockingly every piece of gas powered equipment we own works just fine without it after 6 months of storage.

@Wish I would be as worried about rodents and such getting in eating everything including wire insulation. Look up the product called Freshcab. It is an all natural that smells like pine. Comes in a pouch. Throw a couple in the boat and sleep better when it is covered. Haven't had a problem since I started using it. 5 years ago pulled out a tree worth of chewed acorns and got to rewire the entire boat after covered in my barn.

• Baller_
As for rodents, I've been told using dryer sheets (from friends who store for winter) placed pretty much all other the place takes care of things like mice and such. Went ahead and did that.. Can't hurt.

• Baller
For 3 years I had a resident red rat snake in my '76, I don't mind snakes. Every time I'd take the boat out it'd get waxed and vacuumed so there was enough time to wake the snake up and it'd usually leave then come back at night and curl up underneath the engine for the warmth. Maybe that's why rodents weren't a problem.