05 mc ps197 engine power cutting out

rodecon

• Baller

So I went for a ski the other day with a buddy of mine and on the way to out honey hole the engine cut out and went into limp mode and wouldn't go beyond idle and the dash was flashing "check engine" (this happened after about 1 minute of sustained 4500 rpm) after he turned off the ignition and re started it reset and seemed to be OK.

After we got to our ski hole, it cut out again pulling up the first skier.

I am assuming maybe a clogged fuel filter is to blame? It only seems to happen at WOT and was fine if we eased up the skier and it would maintain 34 mph OK.

The boat is a 05 MC PS 197 with an indmar MCX

Any thoughts/ ideas on what the problem is?

Thank you!

• Baller

Sounds like your fuel pump is about to die...but that wouldn't cause limp mode.What was engine temp and oil pressure after one minute at WOT ?

Checking fuel pressure while under load is the first thing i would do.

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

Check out the thread "2005 MC 197 help..." similar symptoms. I copy my friend's post below. Good luck!

"Thanks you all for the advice. After changing the in tank fuel filter, running 93 octane, knock sensor, water temp sensor, verifying transmission temp sensor for proper operation, and ruling out the oil pressure sensor, I was going over this with a friend and I asked, could it be a bad ECM? He said did you check the ECM ground? I put a 5/8 wrench on the 3 grounds on the bell housing. The one for the battery ground was good but the other two, that have grounds for the main harness, needed to be tightened. A couple of turns with the wrench and My problem went away! Lesson learned; I plan on checking these as part of my spring routine, to get my boat ready every year. I hope this post will help others. thanks again for the help"