New Forward drive

Mastercraft81SnS

I know this is more for wakeboarding and surfing, but I wanted to know what you guys thought.

What do you guys think about Forward Drive?

Do you guys think it will catch on or is it a one hit wonder?

Do you think brands like MC and Ski Nautique will try something like this?

Will they try to make a version for skiing?

I personally will stick to my true inboard.

y9jxij02p4ng.jpeg

ql265xwl635v.png

j5lijkktjaz8.jpeg

http://www.proptalk.com/april-15-four-winns-ts222-and-volvo-penta-forward-drive/

• Baller

I've heard $15k to $20k for a Volvo DPS or XDP drive replacement and supposedly the forward facing unit is 10% more than the rear facing units. The Volvo XDP has a lot of issues according to owners I've talked to but the DPS units are pretty robust. I'm not sure where this design is going to fall. Idiots problematic it wil be gone in a couple years. If robust I could see it opening up the surf centric buyer to looking at stern drives. Based on the hulls it's going in I don't see quality ski wake potential. The our drive unit alone will not perfect a wake for slalom.

I did see one of these things on a trailer going down the highway. The out drive was trimmed all the way up. It's a lot of metal hanging off the back of the boat and it has a draft depth disadvantage to rear facing out drives.

• Baller
It is much better engineering. Handling will be a lot better docking and retrieving skiers. Top speed will be a lot higher. Negative trim angle will pull the transom down without having to add ballast or drag. My big question would be durability of the cone clutch shifting and the limited service network of Volvo in our area.

• Baller
I would think a puller prop at the front of the boat would track better and possibly offer some unique features that may or may not be beneficial. However, I honestly think that anything that makes competition boats even more expensive than they are now is a terrible idea.

• Baller

The forward drive is made PURELY to compete with surf boats. Bryant, Regal, Cobalt, and FourWinns are marketing pretty big boats with lots of standard items--nice stereos, etc. They also have trim tabs and ballast. For the most part, they are competing with Axis, Moomba, the cheap Tige, etc.

I think they miss the mark a bit, as one main benefit of a stern drive is trimming the props up near or above the hull depth for beaching or shoal areas. These wont trim up in the same fashion. That said, the low-speed maneuvering with the duoprop set up is pretty awesome.