Affordable Portugal with a side of skiing

andjules

• Baller

Just got back from a great week in Portugal. I had been vaguely considering a little trip to Florida when I stumbled on a great airfare deal - $460 CAD (about $350 USD) Toronto-Lisbon return, direct flights. Sounded intriguing. A little googling revealed that AirBnBs, hotels, rental cars were all very affordable. A little more googling and I found Francisco Simoes:

http://www.skiclube-quintagrande.pt/index.asp?lingua=ENG

An easy 60 minute drive from downtown Lisbon, Simoes has a man-made lake in the middle of an old farming estate, with a 2012 Nautique 200. Francisco is a very competent coach, friendly, good english. His daughter (Marta) is one of Europe's better U21 skiers. I believe they've both run -38 in practice.

Francisco charges 32€ per set, with coaching... yes, that's less than $35 USD per set. He's open year-round.*

This was perfect for me - I wasn't necessarily looking for a 100% devoted ski trip, but rather a holiday with some skiing.

It strikes me that for some of you—or your significant other—Lisbon might sound more interesting than, let's say, Orlando.

I spent a couple of days kicking around Lisbon (great city), then picked up a rental car, mixing skiing with some quick trips to incredible coastline spots within an hour or two of the lake. Ate great food, drank a little wine, walked some exquisite cliffs and beaches with no one on them but me. If you have a non-skiing travelling partner, you could leave them in Lisbon while you make a quick trip to the lake; there also appear to be several golf courses as well.

*It is worth noting that the mid-November weather was nice, but not hot. Night-time lows got down to the 40s, but daytime highs (a bit above seasonal average) around 70F. Water was cool. Francisco says right through the Dec-Feb, daytime highs are 13-18C (55-65F).

@Laz, I almost revived your thread from last winter:

http://ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/comment/189427

If you don't need tropical heat, ballers should consider Portugal as a very affordable destination where you can get some sets in the off-season.

• Baller
@wolfgang - it should be about the same as I experienced: 17-22ºC highs. Great for a walk on the beach, but not bikini/tanning/all-day-in-the-water weather. On the other hand, the beach is likely to be empty. Although we Canadians have been known to behave like 20ºC is a heat wave when getting off a plane after a cold winter.

• Baller
So true. My family however does demand a higher temperature because for them it's not all about skiing....and they're convinced money grows on trees! Waiting until May to ski again isn't going to work for me. Darn US dollar exchange is too strong. Might have to go for another time share sales beating for a cheap Florida weekend.

• Baller
@wolfgang if they like shopping (Lisbon) or walking/sightseeing/exploring (Lisbon and lots in the surrounding area) or golf (surrounding area) or eating (everywhere), they'll have a great time. Definitely needn't be all about skiing... in fact, it's aprés ski where Portugal shines, especially compared to Florida (unless your kids are of Disney age).

• Baller

This is a post "dear to my heart"...born and raised in Lisbon but been in the US since 1970.

Further in common with @andjules a little CA in me as I did my graduate work at McGill in the late 1970s. Of course I'm biased but Portugal does offer great overall vacation opportunity...history, entertainment, great beaches and yes some very nice places to ski...unfortunately I have only skied at one site there but truly...glad you enjoyed it...next time if you need a translator....