Reflex bindings and rust

SkiGurl

My reflex binding is a year old - I ski in fresh water 99 percent of my year but I had the good fortune to ski in St Marteen a few times in the saltwater. I really rinsed the ski well - took apart the binding as much as I could and washed with fresh water but unfortunately I have corrosion. Could anyone comment on the maintenance I should do on the binding at this point? I was going to use WD40 - the Lithium version for water on the binding. Is this a good idea?

• Baller

Dry your ski as much as possible and keep it away from moisture. Don't put your ski in a case unless it's completely dry.

Wd40 is for breaking off rusted bolts and nuts, it will corrode the zinc plated parts such as buckles and the color protection of the steel parts.

Use silicon grease and silicon spray.

Be careful to keep silicon away from the rest of the ski and especially from the lock point of your Silvretta release, RTP and the bottom of the ski.

• Baller

I've had my Reflex boot for 3 years now and the only place I see corrosion is at the base of the Silveretta arms but most of that was because the crappy machine screws were cutting into the arms. Once I changed to a properly fitting sleeves bolt, even that went away.

I use my ski 3-5 times a week between early March and early November. When I'm done, I store my ski inside my house and upside down with the liner removed. I almost never remove the shell.

Be real careful with any kind of lube...especially spray lube as you might alter the release tension. I'd use grease if anything.

• Baller
I ski in brackish conditions most the time. I pull my bindings, spray it down, as good as i can get the inside. I've also painted all bolts, screws, or any metal-on-metal surface on the ski with Mobil 1 SHC 100 synthetic lubricating grease. If I don't, I may as well weld the aluminum parts together, and the reflex steel stuff would be long gone

As a Reflex dealer who does 90% skiing on Saltwater I can confirm everything @skialex says is spot on. My 500 series (with 750 spring and screw) is still going strong after 5 years.

The worst one i see is people storing skis in neo sleeves... they stay damp, hold the salt and seem to accelerate corrosion 1000% faster.

• Baller
@Kelvin It has more to do with how big the holes are right now because they wear. I stepped mine up to 3/16" and just used a stainless bolt with a locking but. McMaster Carr will definitely have what your need or maybe even your local hardware store might have something suitable.