Shoulder Separation

charlieskiwest

• Baller

I recently took a nasty fall snow boarding and suffered an AC Joint Separation. The ER doc said I may need surgery to fix but to follow-up with a orthopedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine. Finally saw a well respected surgeon in LA and his diagnosis was that it’s a Grade 2 (no need for surgery unless I want to remove the bump for cosmetic reasons). Have to rest it for 4 more weeks then start rehab and follow up with him in 6 weeks. No winter skiing for me which I was looking forward to with @colebrah and @rico!

Has anyone been through this type of injury here? What exercises did you do to get back on the water?

Here is xray from Mammoth ER

bi2ydx4sal8j.jpg

• Baller
@charlieskiwest I had exactly the same injury several years ago. Healed up fine with no surgery, but still have the bump at the joint. Just follow PT direction until they release you to regular activities. Then follow your normal workout routine. The PT can give you specific exercises for the shoulder.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

Have seen worse...and sent that one to the shoulder guru in the state of MN who had been team doc for a number of the pro sports teams. It was the one case I thought may need surgical correction as I could pretty much put my thumb under the clavicle and above the acromion.

Recommendation was no surgery, return to hockey as pain allows...meaning the next weekend was just fine if the kid could take it. Skiing presents different forces...go with the recommendations of your sports medicine orthopedic surgeon.

• Baller
I did a grade 2 last August. Fell off a bike or dog kicked my butt. Can't remember exactly? Out 3 weeks then told to do whatever I could stand for pain. Went back to skiing with no problems. Back working out as of this week. Doing standing rows, shoulder shrugs, butterflies etc. with light weights then working toward more resistance.

• Baller

Did a grade 3 in a snow ski racing fall several years back. Doc suggested leave it alone.

Said could operate and turn it into a grade 1, which may not be pain-free. Said that at

my age, I didn't need for it to look good.

Now, no pain, but I am a bit limited on lifting things with that arm.

• Baller

@charlieskiwest grade III but it wasn't my shoulder...it was a HS hockey player who was a patient of mine. I did initial x-ray and referred him to orthopedic-sports med who said no surgery and he could go back to hockey as soon as he could tolerate the pain.

My guess is skiing is a little different, though, given the pull from the rope on the shoulder.

• Baller

I had a grade 3 about 20 years ago playing hockey. Opted not to get surgery, went back to play in playoffs 3 weeks later.... Bad idea. I've never had any further issues then some minor uncomfortable days if I sleep on it wrong. Can still see the lump through my shirts. Definitely follow through with Docs orders and proper rehab.

One thing my dad always used to say "I wouldn't do that you'll regret it when you get older" I wish I would have listened more often.

• Baller

@charlieskiwest I'm really mad at you. My arthritic shoulder hasn't hurt for a while until you brought this up. More rehab with the rubber band.

For slalom, consider a Goode powervest. It takes a lot of load, especially jerky loads.

Get off the darn snowboard! Those things are dangerous. The only injury among the 17 unexpected college skier guests at our ski cabin at New Years was on a snowboard. Get your daughter on skis as well! Skis are more fun and safer. Buy a new Goode slalom and get some snow skis. Oh wait, I have dibs on those skis.

Heal fast and rehab religiously.

Eric

• Baller
@charlieskiwest my injury was a long while back, but I don't remember not being able to ski the following season. Start rehab as soon as pain permits, easy but steady...

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

@eleeski been meaning to get with you on the New Years fiasco! Thanks for putting the kids up I owe you for that! Snowboard is done I was actually going to ski but last minute changed to the snowboard.

Will definitely look into the power vest and yes I have the rubber bands just have to wait 3 more weeks now.

I need to get one of the kids a new Goode does anyone know if they are still running the special?

• Baller
Snow skis are not a magical solution for snowboard injuries. One of my team mates got tangled in the snow fence at the finish line on wed night and dislocated his shoulder. First time for him so he had to go in to the doctor to get it put back in. Once you do it a couple times you get pretty good at popping it back in.

• Baller

My son has had a grade 3 back in October playing hockey and was back on the ice in about 5 weeks with full contact. He played some lacrosse after 3 weeks but he is a goalie so he doesn't get hit as much.

Unfortunately he got tripped yesterday afternoon and went in to the boards shoulder first on the same shoulder. It looks like a grade 1 symptoms were nothing like what he had in October. We are putting him on the shelf for a few days and hope he feels okay to go back to activity by mid week.

• Baller

@charlieskiwest

I did this one skiing six years ago. It was both completely dislocated, and the humerus ball was broken into four distinct pieces. It was a nine month heal before I could ski again, and I used a PowerVest for three years after that. But the good news is that with diligent exercise, I got 100% of my shoulder's mobility back in about two years. And realistically, the PowerVest was probably only needed for the first season back. The main point here is to not give up on the rehab. Like everything, what you get back depends heavily on what you put in.

er01nt13xlux.jpg

I've had 9 separations the last being 20 yrs ago no surgery and still sking at 57 don't rush it I remember 1 time arm strapped down for 6 weeks the doc said go back to work so I said if I can work I can ski did it again before I went back work out 6 more weeks the last dislocation I stuck hand in water at 2 ball they had to knock me out to put it back .mine was a lot like ski Jays but no brakes. Wow I hate that feeling give me beer

• Baller

My experience was similar to ski jay's a full dislocation. It took a year to get back to skiing and a couple of years to have it normal. I attribute much of my good fortune to a dedicated athletic therapist and following the exercise hand out. The last bit was visiting a active release therapist.

• Baller

I have a class III separation in my right shoulder. Did a superman impression off my motorcycle in 2012 after someone pulled out in front of me. After a red lighted limousine ride and chest x-rays to rule out internal injuries, the ER doc said surgery would likely be needed. Said to follow up with an ortho doc ASAP. Initial pain was extreme. Percoset got me through the first few hours, Advil for about a week afterwards.

Ortho doc said no surgery needed, cosmetic later if you want the bump gone. He said 80% of the docs would say the same, the other 20% just like to cut. He also mentioned that the surgery was extremely painful, required 6 weeks of immobilization, and 3-6 months of rehab. They cut through the muscle and run a couple screws through the clavicle into the scapula to hold the AC joint together, then scar tissue forms where the torn tendons are, and that holds the joint together after the screws are removed. He suggested against it strongly. I agreed.

Recovery was short. I think I was doing normal things after about 4 weeks, the sling was on for 1-2.

Aside from the cosmetic bump, I do have "some" issues.

1) Since muscles are now doing the job tendons used to do (hold up the arm) I do get sore muscles in that shoulder. It is particularly noticeable when I run for longer than about 20 minutes. Arms swinging on muscles and all that.

2) I cannot pull back my bow (archery) with as high a pull weight anymore. I was at 65#, and now I have it turned down to 50#, and it's still a workout to get it back. Strength exercises would probably fix some of this.

3) If I sleep on my right side it's uncomfortable. I now sleep on my back or left side.

I have full range of motion, and aside from some lost strength and muscle soreness, it doesn't bother me. It's fine for waterskiing but I don't go after it quite as hard as some of you guys do so maybe it'd be an issue. I know they said that "pro-level" athletes might opt for the surgery.

I am working out this winter to get my upper body strength back to where it used to be. I also have some specific exercises to work those muscle groups.

Good luck!

• Baller

My son had a grade 2 AC separation back in October (college soccer injury). Missed the remainder of the season and has been doing PT since. Playing again (just fun during offseason) but using a shoulder brace/protector on the advice of Ortho.

Hey @Chef23, Christopher and Matt can keep a full time doctor in business...

• Baller
About two years ago in March I suffered the same injury playing hockey. I got rammed into the boards from behind. Had a hard time getting my gear off to get back home - but managed to go home and get to Prompt care for some X-rays. Got a sling and a visit to a Sports Med Ortho. With my age and activity level (33 at the time and lots of P90X) he said not to have surgery. He didn't even prescribe PT as I pretty much had an activity level which would give me the PT I needed. He said 12 weeks and I'd be fully healed. I could do whatever I wanted including pushups and a few pullups if I could tolerate the "pain." I wouldn't describe it as pain so much as the tendons popping/rolling over the AC joint. Definitely a weird feeling. So 12 weeks to the day of my injury we started skiing at Coble Ski School. No issues there for me - so most likely a good prognosis for you!