Carbon Pro/Nautique 200, PCM 6.0 or 5.7 engine slalom difference.

oldmanskier

• Baller

I have been reviewing used Carbon Pro and Nautique 200 CB boats for sale.

Question: Does anyone have an opinion on the difference in Slalom pull between the PCM 6.0 and PCM 5.7 engines?

I know a lot of people are going with the bigger 6.0 engines now mainly for Jump pulls.

Are the 6.0 engines better for slalom as well?

Oldmanskier.

• Baller
I have both 5.7 and 6.0 Carbon Pro. Both are great but 6.0 is best. The 6.0 is smoother in its power delivery and when skiing maintains boat speed better. Pull is more consistant as boat does not have to surge or react to skiiers pull. In my opinion and those who ski behind the 6.0 have said the same thing. Almost like PP of old. This is also my experience with skiing behind 6.0 200. You would think the 6.0 would be brutal on the skiier, but not the case. It is the better option if you want to pay. Added bonus is better fuel economy and lighter weight. OF

• Baller

@oldmanskier same as @robscholl-OF mentions above. I have no CP experience but sounds like same with that boat, too, based on the explanation above.

Aside from the skiing...the 6.0 is a rip to drive without a skier...tons of power on tap. I imagine it really makes the CP hull scream.

• Administrators

@oldmanskier

To start with you have to understand that the hull designs of these two boats is very different. The 200 is a high drag hull and the Carbon Pro is a low drag hull. It takes more power to get a 200 up to speed and for it to do what is needs to do when you are skiing.

I believe the 200 is so darn easy to drive because of the hull design. It sucks down into the lake and is super easy to make it go straight. A low drag hull is not a good or bad thing. It is all a trade off.

I have not had good experiences with most 5.7 200s. That engine just does not have the power to make the 200 feel right. The engine is working its ass off to keep up and it just feels bad at the handle end of the rope. A 200 with a 6.0 is a darn lovely boat. I am not sure there is a better boat on the planet. I have heard that new 6.2 200 is crazy good.

On the Carbon Pro side, I do not have the same experience as @robscholl-OF. In my experience the Carbon Pro needs less power and 5.7 works great. I have had 5.7 and 6.0 Carbon Pros and from a slalom perspective I have trouble telling the difference. The two 5.7 Carbon Pros I have had plus the 3 or 4 that my next door neighbor has had have all skied awesome. The one 6.0 I had was crazy fun to drive but skied about the same. All of the Carbon Pros at my lake pulled 34 and 36 mph skiers into 39 off. No one ever said they thought the 6.0 skied much better. If money is not an object or if you are going to pull jump get the the 6.0.

• Baller

Horton: I was hoping you would give me feedback being as you have had various CP's.

Your explanation of details was great and gave me the information I needed in making a decision.

I am leaning towards the Carbon Pro 5.7 due to there appears to be better deals on promo's and used ones.

From information I have received there does not appear to be a big slalom difference in CP 5.7 and 6.0.

Also there is a Centurion dealership in Chattanooga TN (20 miles from house) now.

I checked with them and they said they would do service as needed on any CP I bought.

I am sure the 6.0 is a blast to drive but I do not pull jump and I am not for sure I want to spend the extra 3 to 6 grand for a 6.0.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

• Baller
@oldmanskier @Horton I would agree with Horton about the difference between the 5.7 and 6.0 on the CP is neglegable, but there is a difference especiall for the bigger skiers. I am 165lbs and can ski my average behind either CP. Behind the 6.0 is easier though. If you get either CP you won't regret it. Best bang for $. OF

• Administrators

@oldmanskier

Centurion uses a PCM engine. That is the exact same hardware as is in the 200. It is a pretty standard piece of equipment. Centurion is a Correct Craft product.

The thing about a used 5.7 Carbon Pro is that you are going to save a lot of money and unless you need the open bow you really sacrifice nothing.

@oldmanskier The centurion dealerships are contractually obligated to tell you they can work on the carbon pro (at least mine is) a better question is to call them and ask if they have the PCM scan tool (mine does not) or if they have ever worked on a carbon pro before (mine had not). If you have a Nautique dealer though they can and will work on the PCM engine in the CP and honor the warranty for the engine etc so that is probably all you really need.