Skiing on DOT owned lakes

Rpc29

• Baller
Does anyone here ski on DOT owned lakes? I'd love to get some information on the details of your arrangements. I've stumbled across a very promising lake that was recently bought by the DOT and was a farm lake beforehand.

• Baller_
My guess is that the property adjacent to the lake is needed for an interstate expansion or other road construction. The lake was just included as part of the acquisition.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_

When you are deciding to approach the DOT, have a game plan and some supporting facts/materials ready to go. Some things I am thinking about:

1. Networking. If you have any contacts at the DOT or even someone with a good relationship with the DOT (excavators, paving contractors, other business suppliers), use that avenue to at least informally socialize your proposal to the DOT. Formal letters of proposal should follow, especially if the initial contact can guide you where to send them.

2. Precedence. Collect any information available on the leased use of government property by other groups (off-road enthusiasts, hunters, horseback riders, etc.). It may be helpful to alleviate any precedent reluctance with examples, some of which may be more intrusive or dangerous than what you are requesting.

3. Liability. Be ready to show liability policy coverage on your boat and, if possible, a club policy. You may be asked to add the DOT as an additional insured. USA Water Ski has statistics and information on the safety of the sport that show it is far less dangerous than many other commonplace activities.

4. Environmental damage. Be ready to assure them that the environmental impact will be minimized. Boat ramps can even be constructed with removable concrete pads or buried cinder blocks that are not permanent. There are also studies on noise that show tournament boats are less noisy than lawnmowers and nearly imperceptible against other ambient noise (traffic, etc.).

5. Return. Be ready to provide something in return. In addition to money, commit to being stewards of the land. They may want you to adopt a section of the highway for trash pick up or something like that.

6. Organization. Try to formalize your club (as an LLC or non-profit sporting club). This will show that you are serious, responsible, and can at least adopt and enforce rules to ensure safety and compliance. It also adds a certain link to what may be perceived as a larger, more mainstream collection of constituents that is desiring the equitable use of public property.

7. Inclusive. Try not to look like this will be an exclusive or privileged use of the land. As much as they would be comfortable with, try to include examples of clinics, learn to ski sessions, or other ways that you would use the site to reach out to others to participate in the sport.

8. Video. If the DOT does not understand what your activity is, be prepared to show them examples of the highly skilled and experienced participants engaged in the sport.

I have some examples of letters and proposals to other government agencies, if you need them.

• Baller_

I forgot to add that your initial approach should be jovial and in a spirit of partnership. Only when it appears the discussions are not favorable to an arrangement should you introduce the supporting information.

In short, just ask if you can use it to put in a course and boat to do some skiing. Add details as they are needed/requested.

• Baller

Looking at the google image it looks like a storm water pond for that housing development across the road. The channel over there makes a right angle turn and just stops at the school.

Judging by the defunct buffalo farm and what looks like feed buildings in every fenced section, I'll bet there is a lot of natural fertilizer over there ;)