Wakeye App poor video quality

jpwhit

• Baller

@Jibbo I have been trying to get an iPhone 5, but not having any luck finding a new iPhone 5 to purchase. However, my wife has an iPhone 5c. How well does the iPhone 5c work with Wakeye?

Has anyone else used the 5c with Wakeye? If so, well did does the 5c work with Wakeye? I am considering trading phones with her if the 5c works well with Wakeye. My wife did say the 5c has less memory though than the iPhone 5. If so, would having less memory w/ the 5c present an issue?

Can anyone help with iphone6s settings? I went out last night and video was terrible at 60fps and 120fps. Not sure what's going on but video looks very pixelated and poor quality!! What settings work best for the phone? I have a 2008 SN 196.

• Baller_
My 6s gets tested tomorrow and not by choice. iPhone 6 was great with Wakeye!! But touch screen stopped responding. Apple defect they won't admit to and they refused to fix. Up for an upgrade I did not want far this reason. Fingers crossed.

• Baller_

Ha!!!! Went to use Wakeye app on 6s and can't get past settings. Prob something simple but I'm at a loss. Set app on auto and went to set speed for app to start recording at 30mph. Tapped the 0mph in upper rt corner and the wheel of speeds pop up to scroll through. Scrolled to 30mph and tapped it..nothing. Speed still reads 0mph in upper rt corner. Tried several ways in which I thought it would input my selection of 30mph but no...just remains 0mph. Help appreciated.

This is as far as I can get with auto speed selection.

w3n0q1sb346n.png

• Baller
The zero in the upper left is the current speed. Make sure 30 mph is highlighted as in your picture and then just click somewhere else on the screen. You're good to go. You can touch the speedo icon again and make sure it comes up with 30 again to make sure it's set properly.

• Baller_
Dang it. I knew it was something simple just not that simple. Tried it in my car at 10mph highlighted. Worked. Guess I thought once selected it would display chosen speed setting somewhere. Oh well..thanks guys.

• Baller
@LZywicki1 is play back on the iPhone upside down or is playback on a computer upside down once you have downloaded the video file. If the first, try deleting the app and reinstall. If it is the latter then ensure the menu button is sitting on the RH side with the camera lens on the top left when recording in the Wakeye camera mount. The iPhone knows if the image is upside down and will switch it. The computer does not.

• Baller
I am a little frustrated that the app doesn't seem to store my frame rate, but it does store my start/stop speed. It also doesn't store zoom. I have been running 120fps and 1.5 zoom. Could probably zoom a little more still, but this is good enough for my purposes, which are primarily self-coaching.

• Baller

I always leave my phone all the way zoomed out because having the boat and other reference points available in the video allows for a better understanding of what is happening where in the course. Being zoomed in too much makes it difficult to see what is really going on. (Anything over 1.5x is "zoomed") Just my 2c

• Baller_
@Jibbo I'd like the app to stamp time and date right on the entire vid taken. Even better, if that could be large when it's a thumb nail and maybe upper rt corner when reviewing that would be incredably useful.

Just read this whole thread, trying to figure out if it is even worth purchasing because of the phones we have.

I have a iPhone 7 and the other skier has an iPhone 8+. Has the shakiness been resolved or should we look to buy an android or iphone 5 to use strictly for skiing? Does the phone need to have cellular service to connect use the wakeye app? Don't want to get another plan just for a skiing phone.

Thanks for any update

• Baller

Re iphone 5 (not 5s) - works best - and I bought one used just for wakeye to deal with unusable iPhone 6. Do not need cell service. I’m getting iPhone X. Does anyone have experience with iPhone X in wakeye app re stabilization issues. (Everyone knows it’s the phone not the app)

Thx

• Baller

The further the distance from the rotation point that the rope contacts the arm the more shake or snap you will get. Can’t figure out why they don’t shorten the arm to reduce this for better quality video? My simple Ski-Doc gives better quality video simply because the rope rotates the sleeve very close to the rotational center point.

These long arm units will be smother with a shock tube because the shock tube takes up some of the rope slap and dampens it’s motion.

Just my 2c worth.

• Baller
I just tried my new Wakeye with Wakeye app on my Samsung Galaxy S8+ and the video is all wavy. Looking for some basic setting for both the Wakeye app and the Video settings in the phone camera app. I just need a good starting point.