4.8L Towing HELP

mach1

I currently own a 93 Prostar 190 and am looking for a tow vehicle. One of my options is 2012 GMC Sierra with the 4.8L V8 and 3.42 axle ratio. Do you guys think this will be up to the task or will I regret not getting something with more power. It is a standard cab/regular bed with 4x4 and according to the manual should have a 6,000 lb towing capacity. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

• Baller
I currently own a 89 Malibu (similar size/weight to yours, and I tow it with an Isuzu Axiom, v 6. No problem (towing capacity 4,000). The important item is were are you towing it to and what type of ramp, if very steep, or slippy, 4 wheel drive helps.

Thanks for the input! It sounds like the the 4.8 will fit the bill. @oldjeep I agree that a four cylinder could pull it; however, that doesn't mean it should. I have to tow it the river every time I ski and would like at least some peace of mind on the road.

• Baller
I towed a 94 MC Prostar 190 with that exact setup. Launched on a pretty steep dirt ramp for two years with zero problems. Towed very easily down the highway. Normal fuel efficiency was about 15 mpg, towing it was about 10-11 mpg.

• Baller

@mach1 I'm not certain and I don't own the truck anymore. It was a factory tow package, whatever transmission comes with that.

Mine had a tow/haul button. When you kicked it on it would reduce the number of gear shifts as an attempt to reduce wear on the transmission.

• Baller
I have a Dodge Ram with a 4.7 and it tows my Nautique 196 no problem. I mostly tow all flat but the onramp after leaving the lake is fairly steep and blind so I do have to get on it pretty good but no real issue. I do notice my transmission will search for gears more than I like. I do have a tow/haul button but I really dont use it that often. But I do watch my tranny temp and its never been an issue even on hot (100+) summer days.

• Baller

I think it depends on how far you're towing.

My '96 Silverado with a 350 Vortec was a beast. It developed peak torque at 2200 rpm, so going down the road at 75mph was right in it's sweet spot. My current '07 Silverado with a 5.3LV8 has more peak horsepower (305 vs. 250), but the torque curve is moved up a bit and you can feel it when towing. It still pulls my MB Sports fine at 75mph but I've learned over the years that torque is what you want for towing, not horsepower.

As the saying goes, "Horsepower sells, but torque is really what puts the smile on your face". :smile:

• Baller

If you follow this thinking ad absurdum, there will always be a "better" vehicle with a higher-torquing engine with just the right torque curve, and an owner that takes pride in the fact that he "can't even feel" whatever load he's towing.

Not being able to feel a 3500lb boat/trailer is not the goal, even if it does feel impressive. Find a vehicle that provides the best balance (price, fuel efficiency, utility when not towing), including handling the load safely when driving responsibly, which—with a 6,000lb towing capacity—the Sierra is (way!) more than capable of.

It's not a tractor pull championship. It's a safe, unremarkable drive to the ramp and back.

Thanks again for all the advice! There are multiple places I can ski ranging between 10 to 50 miles away (so a worse case scenario would be 100 miles per weekend during a six month season). Luckily it's all relatively flat with not too many large hills. My biggest concern is probably the 4 speed trans. I'm worried about constantly feeling under powered or spinning a ton or rpms. I'm pretty sure it has a max torque of 305 ft-lb @ 4600 rpm. Does the 4.8 still stack up well with this kind of commute to the water?

• Baller_
@mach1, if you are really concerned about the transmission, just run it in a lower gear. I have the Tow/Haul mode on the Suburban, but there wasn't anything like that on the Tahoe (4 speed trans). I always towed in 3rd gear with the Tahoe. A bit more gas, but it never labored or shifted excessively. It runs just under 3000 RPMs at 75 mph. I have 267,000 miles on that 20 year Tahoe (I bought it new) and haven't had any transmission issues. I still tow with it and pull the boat 100 miles one-way at least once a week through the summer.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.