Youth Trick Skis

bobbulfer

• Baller

I'm looking to get my 7 year old into tricking this summer, but I'm having a hard time finding trick skis with bindings that will work for him. Does anyone have a pair of trick skis or a slalom trick ski that would work for a 7 yr old that they would be interested in selling. I've checked ski it again.

Thanks

• Baller

I wouldn't start him with something smaller than a 40" ski. That will allow him to get started and last him. You can put him in a Wiley binding to get started. I did move my son to a Reflex when he was 8 or 9 and would fit in the smallest shell.

I don't see anything on ski-it-again right now though.

I got a pair of tricks for my girls at Wiley's. One is left foot and one is goofy. They were able to put a rear toe on each ski going either direction so they could use them for a starter single. The ones I got are not high end, but for the kids it was all we needed.

Call Darren at 206-762-1300

I recommend starting with at least a 40" hard edge trick ski. Not a trick from a pair of combos, those shapes aren't as good. My daughter is 6 and learned to trick last year. She went from 2 trainers tied together straight to 1 trick ski with reflex boot. The single trick was easier for her than combo kids skis. The kids combos had to much drag. She learned very easy to get up. Go around 11 mph. If you have a boom, that makes it really easy. She also runs the mini course on the trick and just skis around cutting the wakes, jumping the wakes, SS, B, F, WF and the mini course. It's the best way to teach young kids to ski.

• Baller
@Russel thanks for your advice. I was looking on ski it again and there are a few 42 slalom tricks. Would you recommend one with rails or completely flat. I'm looking at a few skis on ski it again but am curious if there is any you would recommend. Also did you call performance for a reflex boot small enough for a 6 yr old. My 6 yr old is running the course on 2 skis at 14-15 mph. We haven't tried slalom yet. Any insight on how to figure out which foot he should put forward. Thanks, sorry I know nothing about trick skiing.

• Baller
@bobbulfer I think the smallest Reflex shell is their size 4 and I am not sure if that will fit your 7 year old. That is what I started my son on but I think he was 8. That shell fit him for a few years. I gave my old boots to a friend so I don't have them any more.

• Baller_

You can get thick liners for the reflex and also use a sock. Even if the boot is a little big, its far better than a rubber binding. You will want to allow for some growing room anyway:)

I modified a kid's rollerblade boot when mine were that age and it worked well up to where they fit the reflex better.

If you are on a tight budget, there is an old 40" Kidder on sia for $100. That will get you started and upgrade in a year or 2. SIA33603

The better one is a 41" D3 for $500. You can easily get 5 years out of that. SIA36881

You are definitely on the right track keeping him on 2 skis and running the course. Have him do the skier salute and see which foot he is more comfortable with.

If you have access to a boom that is a huge plus for the basic tricks.

http://www.ballofspray.com/home-page/tech/2598-the-future-of-our-sport-tips-to-addict-the-next-generation

Sorry the link shortener didn't work on my phone

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

@bobbulfer I can probably find a ski for you. You can email me at Masterline. My 6 year old uses the size 4 Reflex with an Intuition liner. I got the liner from Jager Sports in Canada. It's thicker. The smallest boot will be to long, but it doesn't matter. The key is that it is tight in the ankle. The length won't matter. They will have much more control and comfort than a rubber binding. For the rear binding I usually use 2 rear binding overlays instead of the rear toe rubber piece. These will stretch a little when they kick their foot into the binding and hold their foot better. I would choose a hard edge ski. They ride easier and turn easier and work great for hands and toes. The younger they start on the hard edge, the better. They will get use to the looser feel.

There are all sorts of ways to pick which foot forward, others may have more insight on a good way to choose. I usually go by what they do on a scooter or skateboard or what foot they plant when they kick a soccer ball.

You might find that learning 1 ski on the trick ski could possibly be easier than a slalom ski so don't think that they have to learn in a particular order that many in the past have followed. I tried different things, but my past experience and what I thought of as a logical progression probably held Anna back in some ways. Sometimes kids learn in different ways. I wasn't willing to have my Ella (at 5) try 1 trick ski because I thought that she needed to learn 2 skis first, since she could only do the trainers. Ella was asking to try the trick ski and Anna taught her while I was at work. In 20 minutes she was riding around the lake on 1 ski.

I don't teach the full back position or 360's any more. I start with wrapped backs and BB's and move on from there. Eventually they will be able to do the full back position and 360's without the hard falls. My point being that you might find that learning on 1 trick ski and spending lots of time learning control might be better than starting on a slalom ski. Be willing to experiment and go with what they are asking to do.

I would never have them ride 2 trick skis. Most are to big and they have to be spread to far apart. There is no benefit to riding 2 skis and it can possibly be dangerous because they can catch edges and do the splits. None of my kids ever skied on 2 trick skis.

• Baller

@Bruce_Butterfield @Chef23 @Russell Thanks for your advice. I found a 40" Kidder trick ski on ski it again in Orlando that I'm considering. The seller is willing to take it to Performance and have them mount a jr wiley on it. I understand that a hard shell reflex binding is preferred, but I can't spend that much money yet.

Does anyone know if there are any books or videos on tricking, I want to get a grasp on the basics so I kind of know what to tell him.

@Bruce_Butterfield I've kept my son on 2 obrien jr vortex skis in the course. I was tempted to go to one but feel he is really progressing on 2 skis learning the course. He can run the full course now with gates at 14mph and is signed up for his first tournament next month. Thanks for the good advice!