malibu owners - use center tow hook in rear for family tube?

sunvalleylaw

• Baller
Hoping to be a new (or new to me) malibu owner soon. See other open bow threads for details. Will probably need to tow my teen kids on a tube thing (two or three person tow behind), and was thinking I would like to do it from a center rear tow hook. I see there is something like that there in connection with kind of a center rear handle on the 98-99 era RLx's I am looking at, but it doesn't look the same as some of the other rear center tow hooks I have seen. Have you guys used that for tubing? I would rather do that than hook it to the tow pylon so I can have kids sit in the back on the bench.

• Baller
I was thinking more about it and was thinking I might just get one of those harnesses that attaches to the outside tow hoops. . It would spread the weight and the harness might be more likely to break As opposed to all the pressure on one central Tow hook. I am probably overthinking this But towing this thing is what pulled the tow pylon out of my old outboard.

• Baller
I always use the center tow hook in the back of my MC for towing a tube. It is attached to a metal plate on the other side of the fiberglass and it allows people to site on the back bench. Works great. Though I wish I did not ever have to pull a tube.

• Baller

Unfortunately a tube is a necessary evil. If you have a big group of people throwing a multi person inflatable out back is the best thing to have a high fun factor per gallon of gas. Usually when you have to break out a tube it's when the lake would not be good for slalom anyway.

I've towed a 100 inch circular tube with 5 adults on it from both the pylon and the rear center tow point with no issues. It's been a while since we used that thing but it was a more "fun" ride from the pylon since I could swing it more.

Gees I hated to admit that.

• Baller

No worries on me towing it through a calm cove. If there is a calm cove we will ski it. I tell my kids we will tube later after they ski or board. And on the high mountain lakes there is plenty of rough water time in the afternoon anyway. ;)

Thanks for the continued input on towing!

• Baller
I've never used it but I just had this conversation with my dealer a few weeks ago...that's what it's there for...so for those days when you've got a lot of people in the boat, are using the rear seat and need to get the rope behind them...your not likely to hurt anything.

• Baller

Using the rear tow ring is the only way I sold buying a 2015 200 to my wife (instead of a legit family boat). Doing so gets the rope out of the way and opens up the boat.

Take a length of rope out of an old slalom rope (the 39 segment works well - sadly because I can't touch that rope length so its new). Use this section as an extension onto a tubing rope and run it through the rear tow ring. If you want to get fancy use a climbing carabineer and you can snap the segment onto the tubing rope.

• Baller
I thought to use the rear tow hook on a Malibu you just ran the rope loop over the top of the bar then hooked it on the little finger thingy sticking down? That's how I've always done it and never had one come off unintentionally.

• Baller

Use heavy duty TUBE tow rope (not a ski rope) and make sure they are in good condition. Replace often they are cheap insurance. A snapped tube rope under load can really nail someone in the boat.

I've had 12 teens on each of 2 big mable type tubes simultaneously and had both on the pylon of a '91 Ski Centurion. You would be fine on the rear eye as well. I do like the tracking advantage of the pylon.

• Baller
@Wayne that is the only "center hook" I have seen on this era Bu's. So I presume this is what everyone means by the center hook for these Malibus. Based on the input here, I will probably use this center hook using a tube towing rope at first and see if I need to move it to the pylon to keep the rope out of the wake and to whip folks well. I like to have people on the edge of rolling where they have to fight to stay on, and don't like to force people off too hard, unless it is time for them to be done and they deserve it. ;) I used the old pylon in my old outboard, but that pylon was in the rear of the boat, just ahead of the outboard.

• Baller

@sunvalleylaw sorry for the over explanation, was trying to convey that there is nothing special needed to hook a rope up to transom bar since people were mentioning carabiners.

Have fun. After breaking 40 years of age, tubes beat me up. Actually I came to that conclusion 5 years ago but they were fun to have along when we went to the big lakes in KY and TN 10+ years ago for week long vacations. We had so many opportunities for good skiing we needed something to give our backs a break every couple days.

• Baller

Probably need to clarify my post about the carabineer. Definitely don't want anyone to get hurt. I'm assuming that the rear tow hook is designed for towing, the tube rope (and the extension) is rated for the tube load ( I double up the extension), AND use a climbing carabineer and not something cheap from Home Depot. Another bonus is being able to hook the tube to the back of the boat for ease of transport when no one is tubing.

All I know is this makes my family happy and I get to own a nice slalom boat.