Ski tuning help

Waternut

• Baller

So I bought and read the Fin Whispering book over the winter and it has been very insightful but at the same a bit overwhelming.

I have a 67" 2015 Radar Vapor with a Reflex binding. For some reason I decided to ask this question when I'm out of town and don't have access to my fin numbers or any videos. Anyway, I thought I'd at least ask and see if I can get a few idea of what to play with or do more research on.

The problem: The ski is fantastic most of the time all the way up to -35 off at 34mph. However, I spray myself in the face on a good offside turn. If I turn a little harder on my offside, I can feel the front of the ski slipping in the water with the back. Think smearing but the whole ski is smearing and not just the tail. This is more apparent when the water isn't perfectly slick which is about 95% of my sets unfortunately. I've had issues of blowing the tail in the past but never had the front of the ski slip. Once every set or two, the ski will skip a little bit and then hook back up and I can make it to the next buoy but my concentration is usually toast after that from almost eating it. If I do end up falling because of this, it's not like violently blowing the tail but hard to describe.

Any ideas?

• Baller
@Waternut My first reaction to this would be that your ski is too small, or you have too much support at the tail (a short DFT, too much fin area, or both), or you have your bindings too far forward for very aggressive loading of the tip (possible measuring issue). It's pretty unusual for the tip to slide as much as the tail.

• Baller
Thanks @SkiJay I'll look into those next weekend when I get home but it makes sense that maybe the back is either too grippy or there is too much tip pressure. That's really the kind of guidance I was looking for.