Rear toe plate for better body position?

david_quail

Hi guys/gals,

I'm a newbie - started last fall, and currently *almost* but not quite running 15 off @ 30mph. So humbled and inspired by you shortliners ...

My focus thus far (much because of the advice on these forums) has almost exclusively been body position.

I am using double boots, but am wondering if there are people that feel they need to use a rear toe plate to get a slight heal lift to achieve proper body alignment?

I consider myself to be very flexible - in particular in my ankles - but it seems like I'm able to a) "stand tallest" when I give myself a bit of a lift and b) put the appropriate amount of weight on my front foot. Which has gotten me thinking about switching to a RTP.

Maybe there's others anatomically similar to me??? Or maybe there's something else flawed in my stance? ca02l3cp18oy.jpg

92dup05a4pwb.jpg

• Baller

I find most beginners are too rear foot dependent and put too much weight there. Whether or not a toe loop is the right choice my guess is more front foot would do you some good at your level.

I'm not flexible in my ankles and run a toe loop as I heel lift in the pre-turn.

• Baller_
@david_quail You are at the beginning of your slalom carrier. Ditch the double boots before it's to late. You are correct in how you can stand taller. Over the past year I have leaned a great deal and am now convinced that there is a significant advantage to the rear heal being able to freely lift. After 30yrs of double boots, I am transitioning to a rear toe kick. To late for me as it will now take a looong time to get used to it but I can already feel the difference.

• Baller
I all boils down to personal preference, but I will add - After watching my son last year (Boys 2). He went from Reflex front w r style rear, reflex front to rubber rear full boot, then went back to rear kicker with a reflex front. His performance went up significantly with the kicker, if you can run it, use it

• Baller
Maybe the real secret sauce here is not the kicker vs double boot but the importance of having your rear boot allow you the freedom to move around - a lot. Maybe some more thought needs to go into the design of the rear boot in light of this trend to kickers. Having said all of the that Freddy ran -41 3 times last weekend in double boots...

• Baller

@ESPNSkier I got an off topic? A video of Andy Mapple's heel in his RTP in a thread about the validity of going to a RTP to allow for a little more heel lift?

@ozski There is certainly more than one way to go about things and be successful. A lot goes to preference and comfort.

• Baller
@ozski what do you use for a rear binding now? I find my skiing is most flowy and predictable when I barely tighten the upper laces on my Vapor rear boot at all. Too snug and I have to fight it, resulting in bad posture or more force into the tip.