Sorry...changing transmission oil question. Again.

Tdub

I have a 2004 SN 196 and have changed the trans oil many times over the years. About to do it again and I have a few questions. 1. What is the capacity? 2. It says on the tranny to use Dextron lll, but I see on this site that it is no longer available. 3. When I check the level, does it have to be running? Once again, I apologize for bringing this up again. Thanks to all on this great forum.

• Baller
I also have a 2004 196 LE. The capacity is 2 quarts. Dextron 4 or equivalent is fine. You should warm up the boat then check transmission level. Do not overfill (most important). I drain old fluid out using a drill pump into an empty 64 ounce gator aid bottle. Easy job, it takes 15 minutes total. I leave theengine running to check transmission level.

• Baller
Yes I have lubricated the throttle cable at both ends using white lithium grease. It comes in a spray can and can be found at most auto parts stores. You will need to take the handle off by removing the Allen screw, then remove the plate. It's not very hard to do.

• Baller

FYI - on the tranny fluid, you can still buy the equivalent of dex 3 - it's labeled Dex/Merc. GM owns the specs and stopped licensing/certifying dex 3 in 2006. So companies that continue to sell a dextron 3 oil can't use the name anymore.

Dexton 6 (not 4 - there never was a 4 - they skipped from 3 to 6) is compatible with dex 3 applications, but is fully synthetic. PCM has yet to change their recommendation to dex 6 last time I checked with them directly.

that said I ran a season with Dex 6 in my 2006 SN with no issues, but flipped back the next season.

Reality is the benefits of Dex 6 will never come into play based on the short PCM annual change interval.

my fluid comes out looking as good as when it went in every time....

• Baller
Synthetic transmission fluid is not recommended by PCM because it is simply too slippery to allow the clutches in the transmission to engage correctly. Any name brand fluid is ok to use, stay away from synthetics. I only change at 100 hours.