Breaking the Late Season Slump

Skoot1123

• Baller
I used to go into a slump just before regionals every year - mid July. I live in Texas, and that is about the time the water gets quite hot. I looked at your profile and see that you live in the midwest. Maybe your water has just recently gotten hot (relatively). Once I figured out that the hot water was causing my slump, I have been able to change my ski style slightly - hang on to the handle with both hands an instant longer etc. - and overcome the slump. It could also be that you have been skiing a lot - maybe too much - and your body is getting tired without you realizing it.

• Baller
Bunch of openers and one pass shorter for set after set. I call it hitting the re-set button. When I've skied really short and well for a while I inexplicably fade off and just need to re-set then make another charge down the line. May take a number of ski sets over many days and it takes discipline. Brings the fun back as you spank pass after pass, too, instead of being frustrated.

• Baller
Check your fin and bindings. Another thing that might help is to slow down a couple of miles per hour and try to run shorter line lengths to do something different. Slow down to 32 or 30 mph and see how far down the rope you can run. That is fun and it might help break you out.

• Baller
@Chef23 - I like the idea of slowing way down and seeing how short you can run. Kind of like hitting the reset button. I'll see how I can do that tomorrow morning. Of course I have been dealing with some rolly water as our water level is a bit high with the rain.

• Baller
Took an early morning set and it was much better. Running 15 at 34mph. The water is still a bit rolly, but I powered on through it. I'll be taking a look at the fin and verifying it hasn't moved since I last adjusted it. Thanks for the tips folks! I am looking forward to doing some barefooting - maybe that'll help take my mind off slalom skiing a bit.

• Baller
Last night I looked at my fin and I could tell it was "off" just by looking at it. Got out my calipers and length was 7.30. Checked the clamp screws and only the middle one was tight. Front and back were loose from the last time I moved my fin WHICH WAS SEVERAL SETS BEFORE. Fin was just wobbling on the middle screw. DOH!!!!!! I honestly had not been feeling much wrong with my ski the past few sets. D3 yellow ARC, 68. I'd say it's not that sensitive to fin settings.

• Baller
I went the opposite direction this evening in speed and went to 32mph. 32 off went down for the first time this year!! Confidence is back up. I then decided to take a look at 35. Well let's just say I have no clue at that line length. Great evening. Now to just build on it. Thanks Ballers!

• Baller

Over the past weekend I learned a few things that can help at all line lengths. Vision and handle control.

Vision: don't look at the gate buoys to see if you have gone through them. When you do, it will take your eyes "off the prize" (buoy one). It may also cause you to come off your edge and pull you down course leaving less time and bad direction for buoy one. Keeping your head level around the turn buoys is also key to a great turn and skiing back to the handle.

Handle control: hold that handle! Keep it by your side until the you need to release from the boat and make the turn. What really drove this home is when I took the handle out to the buoy line at 32 off and connected with a great turn and fantastic angle. The result is being EARLY at 32 off and having much more control throughout the pass.

See @Bruce_Butterfield article on handle control for more detailed and thorough information on handle control.