What to look for in a used boat

bojans

• Baller

We are in the market for a newer boat, upgrade to something with ZO. In looking at a modern boat, what are the main things we should watch for? Obviously a visual inspection, signs of damage, abuse, drive and ski it, etc. But what else? Compression test, Have a dealer pull the computer data? I am not looking to go nuts on an inspection, just hoping for some advise on what else we should be looking out for.

Thanks!

• Baller_
Investing that much in a toy worrents an inspection by a certified or trusted machanic in my humble opinion. If the seller refuses, you have to ask yourself why. Few cars I have bought over the years have been on a handshake...some good, one horrible. Lesson learned.

• Baller

Should be able to find a good boat mechanic who will do a "used boat inspection" for about $150. Will include compression test and a bunch of other tests. I once offered to buy a used boat at asking price but with the requirement that the owner take the boat to a dealership for an inspection (which I would pay for). The owner wouldn't do it -- no way I would buy that boat.

Also spend time inspecting the trailer. This was a mistake I made. The tires were about 15 years old and cracked and the brakes had an issue I can't remember -- cost me another $800 or so after I bought the boat for new tires and to fix the brake problem.

• Baller
But be realistic about the mechanic thing. When I sold my last boat, guy wanted a mechanic to look at it since I had owned it since new and done 100% of the service. I told him sure, find somewhere nearby that is mercruiser certified make an appointment and I'll bring it by. Guy call back and says it'll be 3 weeks, I said ok but boat is still for sale and sold it 2 days later to someone else.

• Baller

If it's dirty....and I mean moldy seams and looks like they never open the trunk and wipe it down...stuff like that...most likely they are not treating it well elsewhere. IMHO

I would apply this to other things as well...cars, homes ect.

My MS and I cry when we see a beautiful boat that's not taken care of.

• Baller_
+1 for trailer. Had a friend drive from FL to TX to buy a boat. On his way home, not even out of TX, on of the leaf springs broke away from trailer sending the axle 90 degrees to the frame and boat into the back of SUV and then onto the pavement. The only one that would have detected the weak points in the springs would have been an experienced professional.

• Baller

With all that being said, put it through its paces when you drive it. I mean REALLY put it through its paces. Top end, steering ease, oil pressure, temperature when it is all warmed up. Check the water strainer, transmission fluid and engine oil. Also take into consideration the age of the boat.

My experience was this: on the boat I went to look at the interior had a lot of mildew on the seats. however it drove fantastic had good top end and the gauges indicated it was in good working order. I did notice that the carpet was wet once I turned the heater on (heater core had a leak but had it repaired which was $80) so that was a little concerning at first. After talking to the owner for a while I realized he was straight with me, he answered all my questions. If he didn't know something he told me, which I appreciated. I was not afraid to invest in a little elbow grease to clean the boat up and make it shine. Sure glad we got that boat it has been the best purchase my family made in the last year.

• Baller
Pretty safe to assume that any steel trailer that is more than 10 years old is a piece of junk and in need of replacement or major repairs, unless it was never used and not stored outside. Brakes and wiring are minor issues compared to the way that trailers rot from the inside out.

• Baller

An inspection can be a real pia for a seller . So you can't always get mad at them for not wanting or being able to do it. Your choice to walk or not. But don't be an ass about it. For example I agreed to have mine inspected. The dealer is 45 minutes away. So it took about half a day just for the drop off. And another half day to go pick it up. Also since my boat is still being used , I lost a week of use. Not everyone can afford to replace their boat without selling first. Not everyone can take time off of work.

Then the seller risks all that time and buyer doesn't follow thru. If your gonna make the seller have the inspection , you better be ready to write a check when the boat comes back good to go.

• Baller

What @oldjeep said about steel trailers. My 211 trailer was about 5 or 6 years old when the constant driving on dirt roads finally beat up the paint enough to warrant a new paint job. After I completely disassembled it, I was surprised how much worse it was than just looking at it casually. I had a local company sandblast and powdercoat (as opposed to the cheap paint the put on at the factory) and I have about 4 more years on it since with no noticable paint wear. That's roughly 20x 90 mile round trips/year, of which 4 miles was on dirt. I also redid all the wiring when it was apart.

Tires lasted 9 years. Goodyear Marathons are expensive.

As for the boat itself, I would see if you can find out who the servicing dealer was and talk to them. Did it get brought in every year for oil changes/winterization? Was the trans fluid changed regularly, as well as the raw water impeller? I have nothing against people doing their own maintenance (I do it on my other boats, but the 211 is such a pain to winterize the dealer gets that one). But people that bring it in irregularly probably neglect to do annual oil changes etc.

• Baller

Codes for sure - verify hours/faults.

Records commensurate with the hours of service - I don't expect to see every receipt for every quart of oil, but certainly initial factory service records and major parts receipts.

There are boat mechanics that will do "onsite service"

Run every electrical item - many at once. Make sure blower, bilge, ballast (hope its not equipped) lights, fans, heaters etc. etc. work.

Look under the dash to see if there's bizarre wiring added/spliced.

Get the boat on a trailer or lift and check out the keel.

If they'll let you separate the trans coupler and check alignment - looked at once boat had a groove 1/8" into the shaft from a huge misalignment, been that way probably from the day the boat was made!

• Baller

The diacom data is good to have.

I'd buy a promo boat if I were in your shoes. Lots of good options from guys on this site alone, plus you'll get the piece of mind of warranty...not just what's left on it, but a NEW boat warranty. Also, the promos guys maintain and baby their boats. They're representing not only a company, but they want a solid reputation for future sales.

• Baller
@escmanaze I think @jhughes is right. Check around and see how many 2016 200's or 2016 MC's you can buy for under 60K. May be a few, but not many. Also I'm unsure if @jhughes means what the promo guys pay or a buyer of a used promo boat. If he means the promo guy there's hardly anyway for them to get one less than 60K.

• Baller
I've shopped for as long as 8 months for a vehicle at times. Take a look at more then just the boat, have a glance at the tow vehicle and how the guy keeps his garage things like that will tell you how he/she keeps up on things. Never get in a hurry and trust that you will know within minutes if it's what you want and how it's been taken care of. If someone is shady about a lake test, walk away.

• Baller

@LeonL oh sorry, no, I should have clarified. I'm saying just promos in general, if you find the ones that are the full 2 years old and you find the Txi, then that is where I'm saying you might get down lower. You are correct, I haven't seen those prices on a 16 200.

• Baller
@oldjeep I guess sometimes there is an exception to the rule, my work truck is pretty nasty also, but here in Alberta where it rains 8 days a week and snows 8 months a year a guys detail bill can get pretty high, my boat on the other hand also you could eat off the seats of it