First problem ever with my 2004 SN 196. High pressure fuel pump?

Tdub

I need some help from good old Ball of Spray. Boat ran great a few days ago. Went out tonight. 84 degrees and flat. Nice September night in Northern Ohio. Dropped the boat in, pushed the start button...hmmm. Did not hear the fuel pump prime. Nothing. Excalibur engine turned over but no go. I assume it is the high pressure fuel pump? Could it be a fuse? Can a pump go bad that quick? The pump is next to the fuel canister on the starboard side right? So...what next? I am somewhat mechanical, can I replace it without too much hassle? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Come on BOS!

I was just messing with it and it sounds like the click, click of the high pressure pump is working. I will hook up a garden hose tomorrow and see if it fires up. Emergency shut off? Maybe it is something stupid that I did. We'll see in the A.M.

• Baller
check the fuse first. Or at least put a volt meter or test light to the pump terminals and verify you ARE getting power when it makes that click that you think your hearing. Also, hook up a fuel pressure gauge and check for pressure, and also bleed off the pressure. If you have no gauge then you CAN just push in the shrader valve and bleed it off. Had a buddies mastercraft that would vapor lock, and then the fuel pump would not cycle cause it already sensed to high of pressure, bleed off and boom, it would start. Not very likely but still possible. Whatever you do, don't just start throwing parts at it cause "my buddy Jimbo replaced this and it fixed it". Diagnose.

• Baller
I had the same thing happen to my 2005 196 last summer and it was the kill switch. Even though the kill switch clip looked connected, I pulled it out and pushed it back in a couple of times and it worked. I think the plastic clip warped a little for being in the sun over the years and just did not keep the switch fully engaged.

• Baller
Had the same issue early this summer. Definitely check the kill switch. With kill switch out the fuel pump will not prime. My 2007 will turn over and crank and crank and crank with the kill switch out. just won't fire due to no fuel or fuel pressure.

• Baller
@LeonL this happens all the time in my 196 because I have a toddler who is always sitting in the drivers seat grabbing at things. The boat will try and crank over but essentially not fire. It doesnt take much for the kill switch to behave this way as @h2o.nhk mentioned. Many people just bypass it.

Learn something new everyday! It WAS the kill switch. The motor will turn over but will not fire if the kill switch is loose. I jiggled the switch and it fired right up. Pulled the switch and the motor cranked but would not start. Thanks to all. Problem solved. But, this made me think I should do a little preventative maintenance on the fuel system. Any suggestions? I change the oil every 50 hours but have never messed with the fuel system.

Where is the filter? And, I'm not sure where the high pressure and low pressure pumps are located. Should I bleed the fuel cell? Feeling kinda ignorant at this point. Anyway, thanks for the advice. Up and running again. Cheers. Tom

• Baller
@Tdub the fuel filter is located in the black cylinder above your fuel pump. It can be tough to get off but a large pipe wrench should give you the leverage you need to turn it off. Fuel filter can be tough to get out, take out the plug on the bottom of the fuel cell canister and push it out with a small screwdriver.

• Baller

That black cylinder is called the FCC for Fuel Control Cell or some such. The high pressure fuel pump hangs from the top and the fuel filter is at the bottom. I use some gasket material or put something between the pipe wrench and the metal, or it will get chewed up a little. The factories crank them on pretty good.

When I went through my problems, I learned that the main function of the kill switch was to shutoff gas flow, as well cut the motor. The starter is on a different system, so it will turn over.

The second most common issue are the two relay fuses on the back on the motor. I was told every PCM GT40 owner should carry spares, as they go out that frequently.

I doubt many boaters replace the filter until they have issues. I know I didn't.

• Baller

Yeah kill switch, despite what most people think, simply kills the ignition. It'll still crank. Although that might depend on the year of the boat. I can see some newer engine management systems that might be smart enough not to let the boat crank.

My favorite is having the boat a 1/4" out of neutral. That always gets my heart pounding until I think to check that (that one does stop the cranking of the engine though).

• Baller
I had the same problem with our 2004 LXI. I "hot wired " the kill switch , problem solved. I think the corrosion and heat finally got to the switch and rendered it in operative. I don't expect to get thrown from the boat anytime soon so there's very little risk to taking the switch out.