2004 196 Low on Power

jedgell

• Baller

I have a 2004 SN 196 with the 330 Excal that I purchased last winter that is low on power. Hole shot and top end isn't what it should be. Full throttle to pull up a skier and still doesn't feel strong. Full throttle is about 4700 rpm. It's not the prop, as I ordered a new one earlier this summer spec'd out for my altitude. I did add ZO conversion, but don't know if that could affect anything. Any ideas? Boat has 600 hrs, have replaced the FCC filter and spark plugs.

Thanks,

• Baller

New spark arrestor with the ZO conversion. I only test drove the boat when I bought it, didn't ski or pull anyone skiing, so didn't notice any power issue. Then did the ZO over the winter, so don't know if it has anything to do with it.

I'll change out the distributor cap and rotor

• Baller

The baffle in my Centek fiberglass muffler broke and created back pressure. Fuel pressure was 39 psi at injectors. Boat ran great. Only issue was hole shot and pulling up a 200 lb skier.

Small hose inside FCC holding the high pressure fuel pump is another weak link that can fail and cause a loss of power

• Baller

@skier2788 we're at the same elevation, and that's the prop we got. Top speed is right around 41 mph, it's really just the hole shot that needs improving. With driver and passenger it takes a while to get to 36, right before the 55's and that's with a long set-up. Weird that the conversion would cut the power, I'll talk to Tim about it.

@AggieSkier thanks, I'll check the hose in the FCC

• Baller

Does the conversion have a throttle cable to an ECM driven throttle body? Or is it a DBW throttle?

Not 100% sure on boats but I've seen automotive applications with throttle cable actuated throttle bodies where you can see that the throttle only opens 90%.

If DBW that no longer applies.

• Baller

Check the timing if you have access to diagnostics (Diacom).

The timing may need to be advanced, especially if the engine is loping at idle (though there is some tendency at proper timing for this to occur with the Enovation Controls ECM conversion in an Excalibur 330).

+1 on your muffler. Our 2002 (1300 hrs) had slow acceleration and reduced top end. Once up to speed, Perfect Pass times were dead on, and the engine never threw a code. One person driving, 5 gallons of fuel, pulling wife or kids, not noticeable. 3 People in boat, full tank, pulling 190lbs was a drag out of the hole. (pun intended)

NOTE #1 : The first thing I changed was the tube in the FCC, If it does have a pin hole it is rarely noticeable.

NOTE #2 : Every two years I do full tune up including plugs, so I knew that was not the problem.

I cut the top off my muffler with my dremel, the baffle had broken off from the top of the muffler (actually was glued on) and was pushed back 3-4 inches leaving a very small gap for exhaust to exit. I was shocked that the boat actually could run. I pulled the baffle forward and fiberglassed it into place, waited a day, and fiberglassed the top back on.